Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to remove crank pulley without "the tool"

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how to remove crank pulley without "the tool"

I had to pull the crank pulley off this morning and didnt have the tool, nor did I want to pull the radiator just for this. I wrapped the original serpentine belt around the pulley and turned the crank with the wrench until the belt was completely wrapped around. i then put a prybar through the end of the belt. One end of the prybar went under the front core support and the other end went under the motor mount. In the picture it looks like its pressing up against other hoses but the reality is there was enough clearance to not put pressure on other hoses/lines.

I then put my 1/2 breaker on teh crank pulley nut and a few hits with my hand it it broke free.

Just wanted to share for anyone else that would run into this and didnt have the tool.

You probably only want to do this IF you're replacing your belt. This worked well for me

Old 10-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...or you could put a breaker bar on the pulley nut and back up the end of the breaker bar against the ground. Then bump the starter over. Viola' the nut is loose.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Or if your not confortable with the starter method as I'm not you can pull the access plate off on the Transmission Bell Housing and rotate the engine so one of the four lugs for the flex plate to Torque converter is at the 6 O clock position. Then take the handle of a smaller wooden ball peen hammer and position it against this lug (on it's surface closest to the driver side when viewed from the access hole). Then slide another hammer handle in next to first hammer handle to hold them in place. Now you can un-bolt the Crank Bolt. It's really easy although my write up probably doesn't make it seem this way.

Last edited by 0304Disco; 10-05-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:52 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Fantastic. Thanks for sharing.