Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013 | 11:58 PM
1st Gear

I recovered mine when it started to sag a while ago. Fabric was about $12 a yard and special spray glue was $15 a can. Fun little project that is easier then it looks.

Old 05-14-2013 | 06:54 AM
Mudding

I'm thinking about painting mine now instead of the fabric. Guess I could paint it and if I don't like the outcome I could put the fabric over that. Anyone tried that? Mine started sagging after about 8 years. With the Florida weather and having two sun roofs it'll happen.

Old 05-14-2013 | 09:31 AM
Winching

I finally got mine redone and went with the paint route but didn't like the match on the beige spray paint and felt it looked a bit streaky even though I had done 2 coats of grey primer. So I had Home Depot color match a quart of Eggshell finish and used a 4 inch mini roller and foam brush for tight spots and corners. The match was perfect and the finish is similar to the finish on the other plastic trim parts. There are a few folds in the fiberglass fabric up in the front corners by the sun visor mounts but that does not bother me.

While I had the head liner out I ran my CB radio cable to the rear door and also an extra wire for a later addition of rear lamps on my roof rack.

The biggest thing is to take your time as LR plastic parts sometimes are brittle and break easily but can be expensive to replace.

Attached Thumbnails How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2-2.jpg   How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2-3.jpg  
Old 05-14-2013 | 10:04 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
I finally got mine redone and went with the paint route but didn't like the match on the beige spray paint and felt it looked a bit streaky even though I had done 2 coats of grey primer. So I had Home Depot color match a quart of Eggshell finish and used a 4 inch mini roller and foam brush for tight spots and corners. The match was perfect and the finish is similar to the finish on the other plastic trim parts. .
What did you take to Home Depot to get the color match, a piece of the trim or something else?
The fotos look good

Thanks

Old 05-14-2013 | 12:50 PM
Rock Crawling

That does look pretty good. I'd think it would be easier to use the "roll on" method than trying to spray the whole thing. Seems like my arms/fingers would get tired of using a spray can... that's a lot of area to cover. A fella could probably get a thicker coverage using the roller and a brush.

Old 08-12-2013 | 09:07 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
So I had Home Depot color match a quart of Eggshell finish and used a 4 inch mini roller and foam brush for tight spots and corners. The match was perfect and the finish is similar to the finish on the other plastic trim parts.
What kind of paint did you have Home depot color match. Was it an interior or exterior latex? (I'm thinking that is the only kind of paint that they can mix).

Brian in Austin

Old 08-12-2013 | 09:14 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by ashtray
Are the pictures not working for anyone else? Just curious because for me it says they are temporarily unavailable. Planning on doing this tomorrow morning!
pics still not working.

Old 08-12-2013 | 09:47 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by bcolins
What kind of paint did you have Home depot color match. Was it an interior or exterior latex? (I'm thinking that is the only kind of paint that they can mix).

Brian in Austin
Sorry, I may not have been subscribed so I just happened to see this question. I took a piece of trim that is just above the drivers retractable seat belt column, not sure what it is there for but it is about 2 x 4 inches. Home Depot just needs something about a square inch so any flat piece of plastic trim would work. I think I got it an interior latex Satin finis so it has a bit of gloss and I thought that would be better to not get fingerprints when installing it or if I needed to clean it later.

Old 08-12-2013 | 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

not my thread. idk what pics you are looking for. here is some painted after pics.
2xprimer/ valspar stone texture/ took that little round armrest bolt plug to lowes to match an exterior satin quart and 2 coats and done. cost $24. time 2 hour remove and prep and paint, then about 45min to install the next day.

Attached Thumbnails How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2-dsc_6027.jpg   How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2-dsc_6028.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Marc55 (04-10-2022)
Old 08-12-2013 | 05:47 PM
Winching
Default Anyone have a pic of a black painted headliner?

Thanks guys! Was thinking when I first saw this thread, there was a pic of a headliner painted black. Wanted to see that again. Can anyone post one up here or email it to me? ( bcollins7@sbcglobal.net )

Quick Reply: How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2