Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013 | 11:18 AM
Winching

PROCEDURE FOR REMOVING THE SUN VISOR CLIPS. DO NOT BREAK THEM BY FORCING THEM OUT!

The clips will come right out once the phillips head screw is removed by simply turning/rotating the clip 90 degrees about the axis of the screw (which is now removed). Once rotated, they will easily pull right out and can be re-used.

Brian

Old 08-25-2013 | 12:05 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by bcolins
Thanks guys! Was thinking when I first saw this thread, there was a pic of a headliner painted black. Wanted to see that again. Can anyone post one up here or email it to me? ( bcollins7@sbcglobal.net )
There's another headliner thread of replacing the headliner, which he posted fotos of the black headliner, maybe that's what you saw? That's the thread where I started, then I removed the headliner, looked around to buy the fabric, etc. then some how wound up in this thread. So I changed my mind, and painted instead. I used 2 cans of gray primer and got far as 3 cans of camouflage khaki but it still looked I would need at least 3 or more cans, so I went to Home Depot , got a quart of Rust-Oleum Gloss Almond Ultra Touch and a 4" roller and it came out nice (2 coats). I have the 'beige' interior, but all the vinyl plastic pieces are all different shades, weird . That small 2x2 piece above the drivers side is something to do with the a/c testing I believe, what I was told.
I have 2 sun roofs, live in a humid climate, and sure did not want to replace
the liner in a few years.

Last edited by reboot; 08-25-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2013 | 12:39 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by reboot
There's another headliner thread of replacing the headliner, which he posted fotos of the black headliner, maybe that's what you saw? That's the thread where I started, then I removed the headliner, looked around to buy the fabric, etc. then some how wound up in this thread. So I changed my mine, and painted instead. I used 2 cans of gray primer and got far as 3 cans of camouflage khaki but it still looked I would need at least 3 or more cans, so I went to Home Depot , got a quart of Rust-Oleum Gloss Almond Ultra Touch and a 4" roller and it came out nice (2 coats). I have the 'beige' interior, but all the vinyl plastic pieces are all different shades, weird . That small 2x2 piece above the drivers side is something to do with the a/c testing I believe, what I was told.
I have 2 sun roofs, live in a humid climate, and sure did not want to replace
the liner in a few years.
Well, I went ahead and picked up a can of the "Chalkboard" black paint last night and rolled it on this morning. I got two coats out of the can,plus have a small amount left for touch ups with a brush.

The uneven texture of the headliner is really apparent now that its painted black,....wondering if a beaige or gray color would make it less noticeable.

Brian

Old 08-25-2013 | 02:20 PM
Mudding

Well, I went ahead and picked up a can of the "Chalkboard" black paint last night and rolled it on this morning. I got two coats out of the can,plus have a small amount left for touch ups with a brush.

The uneven texture of the headliner is really apparent now that its painted black,....wondering if a beaige or gray color would make it less noticeable.

Brian
On mine, with the 'almond' you can see the flaws some, but it's not that bad. Looks better than the dangling fabric. I asked a couple of people that rode with me what they thought, and they liked it. After I had did all the spray cans, I did take a sandpaper, 200, and lightly sanded the rough areas before I rolled the almond on. One thing someone mention in here, is the sound inside is different, like from rain. I am deaf , 90%, so I don't hear any difference. My son said we should have sprayed the metal , inside of course , roof, with something. I thought of that rubberized paint, plasti-dip (?) or undercoat, but undercoat stinks and I don't know for how long if it was on there. Like you mentioned though, soiled spots etc. can be touched up . Roll the paint on thick. Try a small area with the lighter color and see if it makes a difference, you can always paint back over it. Another thing, the flaws you see, are you looking down on it while it's out? Inside, there would be less light, and you would be looking up at it, makes a difference.

John

Last edited by reboot; 08-25-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: info
Old 08-25-2013 | 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

I used stone texture Valspar rattle can. My wife thought it was new fabric.

Old 08-25-2013 | 09:21 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by reboot
On mine, with the 'almond' you can see the flaws some, but it's not that bad. Looks better than the dangling fabric. I asked a couple of people that rode with me what they thought, and they liked it. After I had did all the spray cans, I did take a sandpaper, 200, and lightly sanded the rough areas before I rolled the almond on. One thing someone mention in here, is the sound inside is different, like from rain. I am deaf , 90%, so I don't hear any difference. My son said we should have sprayed the metal , inside of course , roof, with something. I thought of that rubberized paint, plasti-dip (?) or undercoat, but undercoat stinks and I don't know for how long if it was on there. Like you mentioned though, soiled spots etc. can be touched up . Roll the paint on thick. Try a small area with the lighter color and see if it makes a difference, you can always paint back over it. Another thing, the flaws you see, are you looking down on it while it's out? Inside, there would be less light, and you would be looking up at it, makes a difference.

John
I actually put the painted headliner up and held it in place at the four corners with various trim bits etc. Still not liking its appearance,.......mostly from the perspective of resale at some point down the road. Might as well spend another $75 on headliner material and adhsive,......so it looks (and sounds) right. Im pretty particular about my vehicles, and unless they are a full on "Patina" Look project,.....I want them to look correct.

Old 09-09-2013 | 08:08 AM
Winching
Default Has anyone here put the headliner back up WITHOUT the FOAM AROUND THE A/C VENTS?

I'm ready to put my headliner back up and just remembered that when I took it down, there was foam around each of the rear air conditioning vents that was turning to sticky goo like the headliner. That all came off when I was removing the vents. Has anyone put their headliner back up without this foam around the vents, and, if so,.....did the A/C still work OK?

Brian in Austin

Old 09-10-2013 | 07:31 AM
Mudding

I'm ready to put my headliner back up and just remembered that when I took it down, there was foam around each of the rear air conditioning vents that was turning to sticky goo like the headliner. That all came off when I was removing the vents. Has anyone put their headliner back up without this foam around the vents, and, if so,.....did the A/C still work OK?

Brian in Austin
Did you put fabric or stay with the paint? I would do what makes you happy. If you have an older vehicle, I don't think it will effect resale value much at all. The foam, I had the same problem. I went to the big Orange Store (Home Depot) and bought foam and replaced it anywhere it needed . They have the stick on foam but it would not stay, so I used a clear adhesive glue, that stays flexible when dry. It's in a small tube, about the size of a small toothpaste tube in the paint section with the other glues (crazy glue, Gorilla glue etc.). Don't miss the very rear vents and where the duct fittings connect. Some art stores (Michaels) have a similar product, name 7800, same size tube. Also I resealed the drains tubes for the sun roofs where they connect with silicone.

John

Old 10-06-2013 | 03:33 PM
Overlanding

Can't see the images on the original thread but this would be a useful topic. Thanks

Old 12-15-2013 | 02:17 PM
4wd Low

Great write-up! Any chance of getting the pics fixed?

Quick Reply: How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2