Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Foe
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for taking so long to respond. The area I am referring to is a recessed area within the headliner board itself. Where a sunroof would go, if I had one. On my headliner board, the corners of these recessed areas were bowed/warped. The recessed areas remain, however they are now flat across the recessed areas, not bowed or warped.

hilltopperx - I'll upload pictures tonight concerning the buttons.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Foe
Drifting

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
Foe - can you take a picure of these two button fasteners that you said you had by the map holders? and post it here. Thanks.
Sorry for the delay. Here's the headline "buttons" I was referring to:

Attached Thumbnails How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2-hl-button.jpg  
Old 09-15-2010, 03:41 AM
Baja
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i have never seen those before.... interesting.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm wondering if those "buttons" are only found in vehicles without sunroofs- mine has the "buttons" and no sunroofs.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Foe
Drifting

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
I'm wondering if those "buttons" are only found in vehicles without sunroofs- mine has the "buttons" and no sunroofs.
I think they're only on mine, because my landy is special

Old 10-12-2010, 07:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Josh....What up with the front bumpers. They aren't stock are they. They look fixed....??

Old 01-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My headliner isn't sagging yet, but I expect it to before too much longer. I've said for over a year that I'd strip it and paint it, so this thread was a nice find. I've had it out of the truck 2 times already for running wiring on overhead lights and installing a GPS puck in the factory slot in back, so I'm not worried the least bit about getting it out and back in. Having the black iinterior, I was thinking of painting it black, perhaps rubber-texturized like bedliner spray. My only reservation has been the black headliner with all the gray trimmings. I'm not crazy about that look. Anyone considered using plastic paint to paint all the gray bits to match? I think an all-black interior would look really nice. I've had pretty good results before with plastic paint and plastic primers.... just wanted to get some feedback before doing something so drastic!

Old 01-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Baja
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

that seems like a heck of a lot of work! haha.. is the nets on the cargo pocket grey as well? i would leave it grey. I like the contrasting color in the interior. just make sure whatever you spray the board with that it A) does not absorb into fiberglass and B) it will still leave the board flexible enough for the re-install.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The black headliner would look good but it with make the cabin a little hotter which is something to take into consideration.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, a lot of work for sure, but likely worth the effort. It would mean having the headliner and all the plastic bits out of the truck for a week or so in order to take your time and do it right. If I do it I'll take pics for the forum. I thought about the nets, the light switches and the sunroof trim- I think it could all be effectively painted or dyed. The light switches would just have to be completely disassembled for paint and then reassembled. My concern is how it would age with use- probably have to limit excessive use of the switches and what-not. (Not that they typically move out of the "auto" position in center anyway.)

With regard to it making the truck hotter... perhaps. But, I'm in FL already so it is what it is! I use a reflective windshield barrier which makes a huge difference so I doubt that'd be much of an issue.

Quick Reply: How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2