Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painted headliner installed

hilltoppersx - here are a couple of pictures of the headliner installed in Forrest.
Now it is time for the next project.
Thanks again,

Attached Thumbnails How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2-after-full-view1.jpg   How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2-after-half-view1.jpg   How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2-after-front-view1.jpg  
Old 02-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Baja
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

looks good! thanks for posting a reference.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm nearing completion on my headliner project. As some of you will recall, I've decided to go all-black. To do this, I removed everything from the truck and disassembled every component down to it's individual pieces. I took the mirror and lights out of the visors, disassembled all of the lights and switches, the front adjustable seat belt pillars, removed the speakers from the front pillars, and so forth and so forth.

The project has been long because I'm very fastidious. BUT, it looks good, very good. I've got most of the little bits reassembled now, visors, lights, etc. The headliner is done and painted, the last thing is to inspect the BIG trim pieces that go in the back from the cargo area up to the alpine windows. They looked pretty good when I glanced at them this morning, but I want to check them out in the daylight when I get home to see if they need another coat. Once they're done, everything can start going back in!

I also re-sealed my sunroof drains so I shouldn't have any problem there moving forward.

I'm taking this opportunity with the headliner out to install temp/pressure/volt gauges overhead too and installed a permanent GPS puck in the factory location on the back of the truck. It has a 15 foot cord so I was able to run it along the side with the rest of the wiring, down the front passenger-side pillar, and terminate into the glove box. Now, I can just open the glove box and pull out the wire when I need it- plug it into my tablet PC and run both MS Streets & Trips GPS mapping as well as Overland Navigator Topographic GPS mapping software.

I'm trying to decide if there's anything else I may want to do while I've got the headliner out. I've thought about some green LED ambient interior lighting, something that could illuminate the cabin just enough at night without creating a distraction or eye strain. My wife's BMW 740 has some amber LED lighting like that and it is awesome...

I'll post up pics when it is all buttoned up.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amber or red is better in terms of not affecting night vision.
What about some of those multi colored mood lights

Old 02-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Bundu
Amber or red is better in terms of not affecting night vision.
What about some of those multi colored mood lights
Really? I thought the multi-colored might be too much.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Winching

All kidding aside, I'll likely not do any led lighting whatsoever. I just don't have the time, and I strive to make all my interior mods look factory. I'm already conflicted enough over the d@mn gauges- there's really not an ideal place to put them!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Winching

OK... moving right along! I have all of the headliner and miscellaneous bits and pieces of trim painted and ready for re-installation. I've been waiting to be sure my leaks were all fixed, and I think they are. I re-sealed the little plastic corners that snap into the sunroof trays and made sure the lines were clear. I also had a small leak from my custom overhead lights, but I pulled that off Monday to re-finish and seal up and re-installed the overhead lights and factory roof rails last night. As a preventative measure, I also went ahead and applied a generous bead of silicone to the inside of the windshield all across the top and down both sides. If I can verify today that the leaks are all cured then I'll be able to reinstall the headliner tonight! I'll take pics of what I did to address the issues and the finished result.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Baja
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

good stuff. looking foward to seeing your hard work pay off. as for factory. im beyond that look. i have trail scars up and down my rig. im making mine functional. they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco_Fever
Really? I thought the multi-colored might be too much.
Just kidding... mood lights are great in the shower and the crapper though.
I would like to see the end result as I have to do something with my saggy headliner as well.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
good stuff. looking foward to seeing your hard work pay off. as for factory. im beyond that look. i have trail scars up and down my rig. im making mine functional. they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I'm only concerned with factory look on the inside! LOL

However, I am fortunate that the color of my truck minimizes the appearance of all the scratches it now has- she still looks great from 10 feet away!

Quick Reply: How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2