Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to: Run wires up to roof rack for lights etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 04:41 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Off topic, but those plugs there, mine don't have anything plugged into them. What are those for?

Old 05-22-2017, 04:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

heated windscreen

Old 05-22-2017, 04:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DivebombInc
Off topic, but those plugs there, mine don't have anything plugged into them. What are those for?[/IMG]
I've been wondering the same thing since about a day after I bought my D2

Old 05-23-2017, 04:19 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Another idea I just had is to drill for one cable gland on the roof, and use a 7-way trailer wire. Use one wire for common ground, and the other 6 should be plenty for whatever lights you want to put up there now and in the future

the trailer wire only has to be like 6 inches to a foot long, just need a common interface to get from the cab to the roof. Better than doing multi-wire cable glands
the only issue I see with using trailer wire is it is usually under sized for most AUX lighting requirement especially for a common ground. If you want to common ground (I did) run another 10AWG wire and tap off that for ground

When I installed lights on police cars we used glands and drilled the roof, make sure you seal with silicone after and paint where the hole was drilled before installing gland so it doesn't rust.

Old 09-26-2020, 05:52 PM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default awesome tip! thanks!

Tanks tcr6v1

I was scratching my head for 2 hours this morning trying to figure out how to route wires to my overhead lamps attached to my new Bajarack. I actually came dangerously close to removing that A-pillar trim. Your advice of snaking an electrician's fish tape or similar cable to pull wires through the A-pillar trim without removing it worked like a champ. It took me all of 15 minutes to get wires from the engine compartment to the roof.

For anyone interested in my set up. I didn't want a janky PIAA switch velcroed to my instrument panel so I tapped into the pasenger's side fog lamp power at the fog lamp connector. My overhead lamps are now tied in with fogs. I can turn them on with the binnacle fog lamp switch. This means i can't run fog lamps on the highway since overhead lights aren't street legal but i never used fogs before anyway. My Overhead lamps are 2 x PIAA LP560s. Each one has two 7-watt LEDs so a total of 28 Watts up top which is 2.3 amps. I used 16 ga wire which is the same gauge as the OEM wiring to the original fog lamp. My google-fu tells me that 16 ga is good for 50 ft at 5 amps and 20 ft at 10 amps. The OEM fog lamps are 21W each per the electrical library. so total on that passenger side of the circuit is 49W or 4 amps so I think i should be good. Adding the driver's side fog lamp load of 21W gives a total circuit power of 5.8 amps which should be within the 15 amp fuse limit.