Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How strong is the TF HD front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 08:21 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default How strong is the TF HD front bumper?

TF009 - Discovery 2 winch bumper

I've been eyeballing this HD bumper for a couple months now, partly because of the price and primarily because its the cleanest looking HD front bumper Ive ever seen for the Disco 2 models. But in a recent disucussion with a friend, he argued that the TF bumper is hardly much stronger than a stock D2 bumper! I think he also said something about how the TF bumper is basically just a bunch of thin plates of metal welded together. Is this true?

Old 10-03-2014, 05:56 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

he argued that the TF bumper is hardly much stronger than a stock D2 bumper!
does your friend own a TF bumper, Nooo

well he is wrong, having gone threw a stock bumper the first winter and having a TF for the last couple; there is a world of difference.
it also does not add the weight that the big bumper with bull bars do.

and by the way just about every bumper is made up of bunch small pieces wielded together,
no one stamps a bumper out of one piece.

Last edited by drowssap; 10-03-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Th TF bumper is plenty strong. The fit is tight and clean and the finish is durable. No offense but your friend clearly has never seen the bumper and doesn't know what he is talking about.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:41 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
he argued that the TF bumper is hardly much stronger than a stock D2 bumper!
does your friend own a TF bumper, Nooo

well he is wrong, having gone threw a stock bumper the first winter and having a TF for the last couple; there is a world of difference.
it also does not add the weight that the big bumper with bull bars do.

and by the way just about every bumper is made up of bunch small pieces wielded together,
no one stamps a bumper out of one piece.

Alright, good good. Now any ideas how the TF bumper might fair against say a Moose? People hit wildlife all the time and factoring in the fact that Ak has considerably less daylight than the lower 48, the odds are higher of hitting an animal. My inspiration here is after seeing a post on FB a couple months ago. Some fabricator in the UK was showcasing their customers vehicle after it was stolen, involved in a police chase and ended up smacking dead on into a cement wall from 30+ MPH. The HD bumper fitted held up very well and there was only minor visible damage the Defender.

So thaqt should give you a pretty good picture what Im looking for. Something strong that in the event of an accident will help reduce the amount of damage to my Disco, can carry a discreet winch and can mount driving lamps on it. So if you think the TF bumper meets these specs then Ill follow through with it (when Im in the market for it).

PS: Im making payments on an RTE custom rear bumper as we speak, thanks to the guys at RTE. So I have full confidence in the strength of the rear bumper

Old 10-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Not sure who told you that, but that bumper is plenty strong. As strong if not stronger than the ARB, which isn't saying much.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i don't think it was Moose rated, deers up to 600lbs, but no moose.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Stronger than a thousand camels!

Seriously, I don't own either one so can't comment first hand on the strength BUT, if you may happen to try to breed a rover with a moose or a bear , maybe you should consider a bull bar?

Last edited by RicketyTick; 10-03-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Moose and deer go through your windshield so bumpers don't do much for you haha

Old 10-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Moose and deer go through your windshield so bumpers don't do much for you haha
I hit a deer, it didn't go through my windshield but it did total my truck. haha! Toyota beer can construction at it's finest!

Old 10-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I have the TF front and rear bumpers on my Project Truck:https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ast-one-67314/

The bumper is plenty strong. A stock D2 bumper broke if you looked at it the wrong way and everyone with a D2 knows that.

With that said, the TF bumper is not bulletproof, but it can certainly take abuse. Ive hit a tree off road and the bumper did not budge. I also hit another tree on a downhill (25-30mph)after getting pulled in the mud and had no control or brakes and the bumper did move a little, but not as much as you would expect given the circumstances.

Quick Reply: How strong is the TF HD front bumper?