Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hub Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 07:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Hub Removal

Has anyone tried this to remove a hub?

Take all the bolts off, put the wheel back on and lower the vehicle to put weight on the hub. Maybe it breaks it lose that way, or roll it back and forth to loosen it up.

Am i missing something? I need to do this this weekend and after reading the horror stories I have been thinking of alternatives.

Thanks,

Old 04-18-2016, 07:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

That's a horrible idea. If it breaks loose the whole corner of the truck will fall and the axle among other things will get broken. The procedure is as follows.

Very first: remove your wheel, completely bend the bent in part of the axle nut back out, remove the center cap on the rim, put your wheel back on. This is the easiest and safest way to break the axle nut loose. You just out the socket in through the center if the rim and you can crank away to your hearts desire without the truck trying to roll or the socket trying to slip off the nut.

Ok, now remove caliper, caliper bracket, gravel shield, and rotor. You're now down to just the hub. Just start smacking the back of it with a hammer, walking your way around it and hitting from different points. Eventually it will slip loose. Pull it out axle and all. Now go sit one side of the hub on a bench and the other side on a 2x4 or something of that nature so that the axle is freely hanging down. You can now hit the end of the axle to drive it out of the hub. Now clean up the axle end with a wire brush and it should easily reinstall on your nee hub and the hub should easily reinstall on the truck.

I will note, torquing the axle nut does not have to be super precise in my experience. I've done two, both have 15k+ on them, and both I have just tightened down with my full body weight leaning on about 5 feet of breaker bar and a little bouncing of my leaning weight.

I'm going to have to replace a hub soon myself and when I do I'm going to do a full write up with pictures also.