Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hummer wheels on 37" military tires...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 02:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Tire *****.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Lisa Bunch
Tire *****.
Sorry, that looks like a terrible idea

Old 04-03-2019, 04:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

I'm not sure my eyes read what they read...37's?

Rotating mass is a gas consuming monster. The more weight...the more fuel. The rest of the weight, vehicle and gear, are just basically riding along and causing minimum difference in fuel mileage. My mind puts you in the 5 mpg range...if you go this route.

Are you going to drive this on the road?...or trailer it to off road areas from here on out?

I believe you are heading down a slippery slope...and l'd surely not go this way...if l was looking to build a overland/daily/dependable rig. A mean-machine for ultimate off roading and fun...sure.

Brian.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:13 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by The Deputy
I'm not sure my eyes read what they read...37's?

Rotating mass is a gas consuming monster. The more weight...the more fuel. The rest of the weight, vehicle and gear, are just basically riding along and causing minimum difference in fuel mileage. My mind puts you in the 5 mpg range...if you go this route.

Are you going to drive this on the road?...or trailer it to off road areas from here on out?

I believe you are heading down a slippery slope...and l'd surely not go this way...if l was looking to build a overland/daily/dependable rig. A mean-machine for ultimate off roading and fun...sure.

Brian.
Yeah, big tire. 5 mpg sounds a bit low!

No trailer.

Still evaluating options. I'm now 50/50 between the beadlock kit (TF103) + 315/75r16 and the hummer wheels. I can get the beadlock kit, but I can't find the single wheel kit anywhere (TF103A). It would be annoying to have a spare that doesn't match 100%, and it's not a good idea to put 315/75's on 7" rims

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (04-04-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 10:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Yeah, big tire. 5 mpg sounds a bit low!

No trailer.

Still evaluating options. I'm now 50/50 between the beadlock kit (TF103) + 315/75r16 and the hummer wheels. I can get the beadlock kit, but I can't find the single wheel kit anywhere (TF103A). It would be annoying to have a spare that doesn't match 100%, and it's not a good idea to put 315/75's on 7" rims
Jeff, whats up my dude. Have you looked into https://www.totalmetalinnovations.com ? They sell weld on beadlock rings. You can turn any steel wheel into a beadlock with their kit. They are cheap and they have a ton of different styles. Don H from Nor Cal Land Rover club just did a set with one of the club members and they looked great. That way you can keep your current wheels and just go bigger tires. Hes also running 37s on his built D1, if your not building a daily driver, then leave the MPG for the hybrids.

Jose

Old 04-03-2019, 10:17 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Spam2021
Jeff, whats up my dude. Have you looked into https://www.totalmetalinnovations.com ? They sell weld on beadlock rings. You can turn any steel wheel into a beadlock with their kit. They are cheap and they have a ton of different styles. Don H from Nor Cal Land Rover club just did a set with one of the club members and they looked great. That way you can keep your current wheels and just go bigger tires. Hes also running 37s on his built D1, if your not building a daily driver, then leave the MPG for the hybrids.

Jose
Hey man, I have alloy wheels so no go there. Even if they were steel, don't think they'd be compatible:

I'm starting to wise up a little and thinking I will just get the beadlock kit for my current wheels, with either 315/75 M/T's or 35x10.50 Interco swampers. The weight of the hummer wheels is a real turnoff. But I'm annoyed I can't get a 5th beadlock.., however if I went with the swampers, they should be okay mounted normally on my 16x7 rim as they're only 10.5" wide.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Hey man, I have alloy wheels so no go there. Even if they were steel, don't think they'd be compatible:

I'm starting to wise up a little and thinking I will just get the beadlock kit for my current wheels, with either 315/75 M/T's or 35x10.50 Interco swampers. The weight of the hummer wheels is a real turnoff. But I'm annoyed I can't get a 5th beadlock.., however if I went with the swampers, they should be okay mounted normally on my 16x7 rim as they're only 10.5" wide.
Oh man I forgot those TF wheels were alloy and not steel. My bad lol
Jose

Old 04-04-2019, 05:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

A local machine shop could easily replicate one of the rings for your fifth rim. Might be costly though.

That said, you can put 315s on a 7" rim. It's not within manufacturer recommended spec, but you certainly can.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Alex_M
A local machine shop could easily replicate one of the rings for your fifth rim. Might be costly though.

That said, you can put 315s on a 7" rim. It's not within manufacturer recommended spec, but you certainly can.
Yeah that could cost as much as the set of four, haha.

Alright I ordered the beadlock kit. Now to decide what tire to run!

I'm thinking between 315/75 (34.6") mud terrains (KM3, Cooper STT pro) or 35x10 (Interco super swamper). Leaning towards the skinnier swamper

Old 04-04-2019, 12:05 PM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

You are putting these on the stock LR axles? A Dana 44 is borderline with 35's and heavy on the skinny pedal. With 37's you see most hardcore rigs go to Dana 60's. I'm not convinced the LR axles are stronger than a 44. Are they?

I'm sure someone will chime in that they run 46" on their stock Dana 44, and yes it can be done, but not without extra diligence in application of throttle.

Quick Reply: Hummer wheels on 37" military tires...