Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

humming noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default humming noise

it has only done this a couple times but when i turn it will make a humming noise.
it does it on random occasions.
is there something wrong with the steering?
96 discovery. havent been on here in a while lol.

also when i start the car up and let it idle or drive it for a minute or so it sounds like the fan or something in the engine is squeeking but goes away after the minute. is it okay?

Old 11-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: humming noise

First check your power steering fluid level, then check your serpintine belt for excessive wear.
What you really need to do is open the hood, start the engine and then listen for the noise, have a friend turn the steering wheel from side to side, but from the sounds of it you need a new serp belt.

This would be a good thing for you to fix on your own. Its easy and you will learn something, and you can tell your parents "hey, look, I can do stuff on my own" lol My parents always ragged me anyway.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:08 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: humming noise

Teach the car the words to the song so it quits humming.

It kind of sounds to me like your power steering pump is struggling. Could be because of low fluid level or that the pump is failing.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:35 AM
6th Gear

I have sort of the same problem that started yesterday. I topped up my coolant and went just over the fill line. now when my engine is hot enough thats only when the humming sounds and obviously the coolant bubbles and starts to drip out but the humming is coming from the fan or belt? could this be from the overflow?

Old 06-02-2009, 07:46 AM
6th Gear

also changed my main bulbs for my headlights but cant think wat coulda changed to cause the humm

Old 06-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Jon-year and mileage? I am trying to follow you, but you say your truck gets hot and then humms and coolant bubbles out? Check your belt, but I would say you need a new water pump

Old 06-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

mine does it too, never heard it while I was driving only when I am backing out of a parking spot or the driveway and once I have stopped backing out to straighten the wheel or turn it a bit more (and it is not the whole time you turn the wheel, just like it hits a dry spot about 10% through while turning the wheel if that makes since), mine is not the sound of a belt or a pump but more of a slight metal rubbing sound (it has never done it enough to concern me to much as it doesn't always do it, and does not seem to mess with the steering at all) my more recent thought is maybe a u-joint of some kind in the steering shaft is causing it (not sure if there is a U-joint with a greasable fitting on it in the steering anywhere but I bet if there is that would resolve it. the best way I can describe it is if your stopped and you let your brakes up just enough to roll a few feet forward, you sometimes get that deep low pitched sound that comes off your brakes.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DISCOJON87
I have sort of the same problem that started yesterday. I topped up my coolant and went just over the fill line. now when my engine is hot enough thats only when the humming sounds and obviously the coolant bubbles and starts to drip out but the humming is coming from the fan or belt? could this be from the overflow?
Sounds like coolant is getting on your belt and causing the noise.
Check your power steering fluid level too though.