Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am so depressed, HELP! Linda Blair has possessed my DII

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default I am so depressed, HELP! Linda Blair has possessed my DII

So I got a lower hose leak, actually the one from the thermostat to the water pump. Got a new one, along with a new lower hose and a new thermostat. While I was there, the serpentine belt looked like it could use a replacement so I bought a new serpentine belt too. Got home, changed out the hoses and replaced the belt. Ran to Kragen, got some Dexcool and water wetter and filled her up. I didn't seem to be circulating through the heater,defrost system. I got inside and the temp started to creep to the warmer side of normal. Then, here comes the fun part, all heck breaks lose, I get the three amigos, had never seen them before, the check engine light comes on and the srs light comes on. Then the M and S transmission lights start flashing. I move the gear shift and the indicator lights on the shift surround stay on D eventhough I move it to 1,2,and 3. Then the all of dash gauges go limp, the all just shut down. WHAT happened? I didn't disconnect anything other than the hoses and changed the serpentine belt. Could the belt have affected the electronics? Also, the defrost was blowing cold eventhough I adjusted the temps to Hi. What is going on. As I bled the system, the overflow spit some radiator fluid out the overflow tube. There is some wiring there but my gosh. I am so sick to my stomach. Oh, one more thing, the battery, which is just a year old and has been fine went dead, this is all within about a 5 to 10 minute span. It is like this thing became possessed. I don't even know if it is safe to drive it to a shop for an inspection. I can't believe this piece. Why did I buy it? Please tell me it is something simple, I can't even qualify for the cash for clunkers because I have only owned it two weeks. the DMV paper work isn't even done yet. HELP, HELP, HELP. Phil, contemplating calling the suicide hotline...2001 DII 75k miles looking for an exorcist.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:07 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is your belt routed the wrong way?

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-3...g-heating.aspx

Also check your ground wires and make sure your alternator ground wire is tight.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle

it appears to be routed correctly. Phil

Old 08-13-2009, 07:13 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the possessed-edness could be caused by voltage / low voltage issues. I'd look very closely again at the belt routing - specifically the alternator and make sure it's turning. If the belts wrong and your alt isn't working the car's going to have to run entirely off the battery. Therefore the battery will drain in no time and system voltage will decrease.... that's when the gremlins come out. If you're positive the belt is correct get your alt checked.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:23 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're sure the belt is on there properly. Remove the ground wire from your battery and then check the ground connection on the alternator and follow it to the ground point on the engine and make sure everything is tight.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I am such a dork. I was so worried about the alternator side of things that I messed up the a/c side, rerouted per instructions and viola, all is well. Do have a Service Engine Light, it will likely clear. Thanks for the help! this is better than the suicide hotline! Phil

Old 08-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Isint it great when its the simple things?

Old 08-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome