Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I fixed the ticking in the Discovery! 100% gone

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I fixed the ticking in the Discovery! 100% gone

I have a 2004 Disco with 124K on it. Its a super nice truck but had a tick in the engine. I own a european auto repair business so I have the tools and the skills to take this on LOL

I did the intake and valve cover gaskets last spring and its been running great, but it developed a tick just after the holidays. So I have been reading the forum and decided to tear into it last weekend. The timing chain had a good amount of slop in it so I replaced it and the sprockets. I pulled the oil pump and it showed wear but the timing cover was in really good shape, so I replaced the gears! Next I pinned the cylinders with 1/4 20 by 1/2 inch long stainless allen screws. I then used a standard nut to lock them. I sealed the screws with Locktite 574 which is a anaerobic sealed I use on Porsche engine cases. Its awesome but on the pricey side.

Filled the engine with Shell Rotella, and G-12 coolant. I checked it over, and turned the key. WOW its perfectly quite. It sounds great, no TICKING

Thanks guys for all the information I was able to gather from the members posts. Next thing the head gaskets will probably need done? They were replaced before I got the truck at 101K. So if they go Ill use ARP studs and the best gaskets I can get. Plus Ill grind the valves and replace stem seals.

Its a labor of love but my wife likes the Disco so who am I to say (No Im not fixing it )

The following 2 users liked this post by Speedsterguy:
JUKE179r (03-04-2018), Sixpack577 (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 06:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Very cool, did you pin the cylinder per the forum write up? Any learnings to share?

Old 03-03-2018, 09:15 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Very cool, did you pin the cylinder per the forum write up? Any learnings to share?
This^
I am waiting for the machine shop to finish my block now.
I don't think my sleeves are the cause of my ticking 04, 4.6, with 122k miles(found bad bearings), regardless, I have been reading, planning, and will be pinning all 8 liners, just in case. And very soon.
I would like to hear your thoughts, ideas, pictures if you have them.
Thanks

Old 03-03-2018, 09:17 PM
Drifting

Yes I did like the write ups on this forum. One thing I did do was to chuck the allen screws to a cordless drill and make the end flat. I used a small air powered belt sander I got at Harbor Freight for under 20 bucks. I held my finger over the hole inside the cylinder and turned the screw until it just came out past the surface. Then I backed it out until it just was under the surface and tightened the nut, just lightly we are not trying to hold a wheel on here. Just touching the block and a little nudge is all it takes. The locktite 574 is key for me, as it locks the screw but it also seals it so it will not leak oil

Last edited by Speedsterguy; 03-03-2018 at 09:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 09:20 PM
Drifting
The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 09:20 PM
Drifting

Amazon has the sealer I used

Old 03-03-2018, 09:28 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I doubt the sleeves were moving. Unfortunately from a diagnostic stand point you did several things, so you will never know.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:32 PM
TReK

Thank you sir.
I hadn't found alot of interesting rebuild threads on here that were not old, or the pictures were gone.
Now, as of lately, myself, and several other members are currently rebuilding a D2 engine.
I will be posting alot of pictures.
I appreciate your help, and everyone else's here.
It's interesting figuring out, and fixing their problems.

Last edited by Sixpack577; 03-03-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:34 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by abran
I doubt the sleeves were moving. Unfortunately from a diagnostic stand point you did several things, so you will never know.

I think my noise was all bearings, even though I thought it was liners before dissasmbling.
I still would rather pin them correctly, and rule it out completely.
That's all I need to know, lol

Old 03-03-2018, 09:44 PM
Drifting

I can't say for sure what one thing I did fixed the ticking. But I look at it like this, if your inside the engine its best to check it out and look at the common things that go bad. The timing chain was shot and needed replaced,I recommend to everyone to replace the sprockets with the chain as they wear as well as the chain. Its cheap insurance just to do it correct the first time. The oil pump had some wear, again its cheap insurance to replace it. Total cost for the timing chain set, oil pump gears, front crank seal, pan gasket, oil, oil filter, and coolant was less than $250. Thats cheap!! My time is free, and Ive been working on european cars for 30 years. So this job was not a big deal for me to do, it was kind of fun to be honest. Plus it was a smile maker when the engine went from a tap-dance to a smooth jazz number. Its as quite as my Porsche Cayenne, thats saying a lot for a old design V8 to be that quite

Quick Reply: I fixed the ticking in the Discovery! 100% gone