Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I killed my power steering pump (I think)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 07:24 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I killed my power steering pump (I think)

During my latest repairs (top end rebuild) I thought it would be a great idea to rebuild my pas pump as it was leaking from the back. It was otherwise working fine (I know: if it ain't broken don't fix it)

I got the kit ''assembled from parts in the UK and others'' off ebay and it looked like a great quality kit.

Rebuild was easy but when I started the car up following the whole job I had to quickly rev it to 2500rpm and keep there for 25mins to break in the camshaft. I think the pump might not have pulled the fluid and burnt itself.

When I did the camshaft break-in the pump was making a high pitch noise can be heard in video:

I got another rebuild kit and did the rebuild again. It looked find in there. I made sure to push fluid through the second time before starting the car but still, the steering is very hard at idle. As soon as I rev up (or on cold startup) it is fine.

Anybody else has done this? I suppose a new pump is the way ahead? The one from Lucky8 is good?

Thanks

David

Old 06-18-2018, 08:14 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

You have to bleed the ps box, there is a bleeder on the top. It has air in the lines if it's been apart and/or leaking.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:30 AM
Mudding

I bled the box quite a bit. No air comes out anymore. I bled it to a bottle and then ran the line back to the reservoir and kept bleeding for a while. No air comes out now. But still lack of power assist at idle.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

How tight are the rear bolts?

Old 06-18-2018, 12:11 PM
Mudding

12 ft-lbs

Old 06-18-2018, 04:21 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Roby466
12 ft-lbs
So it spun freely with just a little resistance.

Is there fluid flow?

Old 06-19-2018, 04:06 AM
Mudding

it has quite high resistance, there is fluid flow. As soon as I go up from the low idle it works properly.
it's as if something is too tight even. When I first start the engine when it's wet the belt slips a bit. It has never done that before.
Could the ''8 shaped'' seal be too think. I think that's what causes the pressure on the rest of the assembly to make the seal between the steel parts.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:07 AM
Mudding

I think I will see if it gets better after driving it a while and if not, I don't see a point rebuilding it again. With the cost of the kit and new fluid it may be worth it just replacing the pump I suppose. What's recommended?

Old 06-19-2018, 04:30 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Roby466
it has quite high resistance, there is fluid flow. As soon as I go up from the low idle it works properly.
it's as if something is too tight even. When I first start the engine when it's wet the belt slips a bit. It has never done that before.
Could the ''8 shaped'' seal be too think. I think that's what causes the pressure on the rest of the assembly to make the seal between the steel parts.
Did you use the thin plastic clear gasket?

I used untra black on mine, it wouldnt seal, so I used the gasket sealer.

If its squealing like that...I'd redo it. Once you start tightening those screws you'll notice how it adds resistance to the pulley.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:35 AM
Mudding

alright I see, I will take it apart again and see what it does. It's a pretty quick job. The worst is the fluid. That LR steering fluid is getting expensive Not sure if any PS fluid can go in there can it? I know D1 used auto trans fluid. D2 is supposed to have PAS fluid.

Quick Reply: I killed my power steering pump (I think)