Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I made the decision!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im planning on using this for normal road use and off road like mudholes and hills, Im really debating over A pair of ARB Air lockers or a 2" lift with tires.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:31 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Start with the 2" lift and tires. If you need more than that then add your lockers. The tires are the most important modification you can make to these vehicles. Lifts and lockers do you absolutely no good if your tires don't provide adequate traction. Good tires that will actually dig in and get traction combined with the CDL will get you a lot more places than you'd think. I think you'll be happy with either RTE or OME 2" lift and they require a lot less other modifications than the 3" kit.

Actually wait on your lockers until you afford to have 4.11 gears installed at the same time. With larger tires the lower gears are a good thing to have and it's cheaper to have all the work in the differentials done at once than to have someone pull them apart again and again.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Rock Crawling

4.11 gears, Where can i find these? And has anyone installed the ARB air lockers on a disco I yet? they look like they kick-***.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ARB lockers are a PIA, you have to stop, engage them, then when you want to tuen you need to stop, dis-engage them, if you want a locker get a Detroit locker for the rear or a Tru Track for the front.
You have yet to see what you truck can actually do, a good set of tires WILL get you places you never thought possible.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Rock Crawling

If you only fit a ARB locker in the back and Detroit in the front, Would that ruin each-other? i really like the convenience of being able to flip three switches and turn on both of my lockers. So the only bad thing about these ARB's are the goddamn prices for sure and the inconvenience of having to turn them off and on alot?

Old 05-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Team Owner

The downside of ARB lockes is you need to buy and install the pump, run the air line to the axle(s), install the switch(s), turn the pump on and lock the locker, turn the pump off to unlock the locker.
With a ARB locker locked you CANNOT turn, you are going straight and only straight and straight is the direction that you will be going wheather you want to or not, you cant turn.
A Tru Track (for the front) is a mechanical locker that is locked until you turn, a Detroit (for the rear) is the same.
Both of these are install and forget it lockers, they lock upon wheel spin, unlock when no wheel spin, no switches, no air pumps, install it and forget it.
BUT, you are getting the cart in front of the horse, 90% of the wheeling that you will be doing you dont need lockers let alone 2 lockers.
If you want to climb a vertical rock wall, get 2 lockers, if you want to go though hood deep mud, get a winch.

Watch these videos and you will see what these trucks are made of...stock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IngZdOr5YVw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLyb9CCWQog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMpaofHtLbo
These guys dont have lifts, they dont have lockers, they have a winch, HD springs, drivers skill and the Best 4x4xFar.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:26 AM
TReK

To correct a minor point in what spike said, a Tru Trac is a limited slip, not a locker. It actually stays unlocked until it senses a certain speed difference between the tires on the axle. When it senses enough difference, such as when stuck in mud, it locks and to send power to the slower wheel which would generally be the one with traction. A locker such as a Detroit Locker works just the opposite. It is normally locked and applying equal power to both tires on an axle. You want a limited slip in the front or an ARB that you can turn off, not a Detroit locker. With the Detroit it would be nearly impossible to turn and dry roads and it will destroy your tires. With a standard open differential your power goes to the wheel with the least resistance.

Before you go dumping money into the vehicle you really need to take it out and find out what it can do. I am running my 97 with just the CDL, no lockers or limited slips in the axles and the truck makes it everywhere I want it to go. And more importantly it makes it home. Check out the link to my slideshow I posted in the First Time Wheeling thread and you'll get an idea what I have taken my truck through with just the CDL.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Team Owner

Thank you for setting me straight AK.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:23 AM
TReK

It's really a very thin line difference between a locker and limited slip that most people either get them confused or think the terms are interchangeable. Most limited slip unit use clutch discs while a locker will use gears. The Detroit had a bad reputation for a long time because of the noise the gears made. Detroits also wouldn't unlock to allow you to take a turn on the highway so the outside tire would end up skipping around the corner destroying the tire over time. From what I have read both of those issues have been corrected with the latest generation Detroit.