Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I messed up with a CDL Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 02:39 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I messed up with a CDL Install

So I bought some 04' CDL linkage on Craigslist. And after popping out those stupid pop rivets I realized I did have the metal bracket that attaches the linkage to the nipple above the transfer case. I know... Stupid...

Anyway I juryrigged the old (non-cdl) shifter selector and bolted that bad boy onto the new system. It LOOKED like it was working as intended but... When I installed the pop rivets again and fired her up she was stuck with the diff lock on. I drove it down the street -SLOWLY- and tried everything to disengage. I went through all the rotations. My guess is that the selector that I bastardized was not really working as intended.

I scoured the internet all weekend to find this part. I email ashcroft, atlanticbritish, lucky8. I finally found a place that actually sells the part - in Poland. Well I forked up the 182 Polish Zloty for the international shipping. Around $50 bucks total.

Pictures if my explanation was confusing.

This is the part I need:

This is the place I bought it from:

May the land rover gods have mercy on me, I hope my truck isn't out of commission for too long. Honestly I'm just dreading pulling up all those pop rivets again...

Old 07-18-2016, 06:50 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

If you need to use the truck while you're waiting for the part, why not try to disengage the lock from underneath?

Old 07-18-2016, 07:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
If you need to use the truck while you're waiting for the part, why not try to disengage the lock from underneath?
Or better yet. Just yank the front propshaft.

Food for thought. In some instances, the difflock dash light will stay illuminated a short period after disengaging the "lock". This was a common occurrence in my '01. Even though I mechanically "unlocked" the CDL via the selector **** the dash light reluctantly stayed illuminated for a moment. My point, confirm the status of the cdl mechanism - is it locked or unlocked?

Welcome to the Diff Lock club. You transformed your truck with a minor enhancement - literally enhancing ten fold its off-road capabilities.

Last edited by coors; 07-18-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:42 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
Or better yet. Just yank the front propshaft.
Haha.

I don't mind the truck sitting, I just want to wait to have the part that fits and just finish it up then.

I also did try a lot of things to disengage it. I think it's had enough pavement with a locked cdl.