Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help diagnosing a vibrating and chattering sound that isn't the driveshaft.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 11:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by bcolins
I doubt this oddball vibration cause that I had is your culprit,........I think I may be the ONLY one that has ever had this. My 2003 D2 came to me with an odd vibration under the seats that was higher frequency that what you generally experience with a wheel balance issue,.....after completely rebuilding both driveshafts including the centering ball gizmo,....no change, I was glad I got the greasable joints in there, but frustrated. I remembered that when I pulled the rear shaft down, that it was not completely tight at the rear shaft e brake drum attachment point,.....I wondered if perhaps the shaft not being properly tightened had allowed the brake drum to waller out the holes and thus no longer be properly centered.

I pulled the rear shaft back down to have a look (takes 10 minutes), and the brake drum holes seemed to all be snug and round,.....not wallered out.

Back to the drawing board,........I was still thinking the problem had to be the rear shaft brake drum and had a thought while driving it one afternoon, to pull up on the e brake handle while driving, and if the drum was off center or maybe warped from someone leaving it on and driving,.....then there would surely be a pulsation through the e brake handle.

I gently pulled the e brake handle at about 20 mph and could not believe the pulsation/ vibration I had at the e brake lever.

Next day, I pulled the rear shaft again and this time I pulled the rear shaft brake drum off (not easy as the countersunk screw holding it in place was all buggered up,.....I had to drill it out to get the screw head off, then extract the screw body). I put the rear shaft back on using a stack of new washers around each of the four bolts to conpensate for the thickness of the braking drum that was now gone,......tightened everything up, drove it,......and problem solved!!!

I had the brake drum turned at a local OReilleys for $20. At the next opportunity, I dropped the rear shaft again and replaced the brake drum,......Id say this eliminated 70% of the vibration I had been experiencing, but not all of it,....so now I am on the hunt for another brake drum to try to see what happens.
Hmmm, that's very interesting. I've never heard of anything like that before. I doubt I would've missed that while drifting around in the snow yesterday (handbrake+snow+no traction control+huge empty parking lot=buckets of fun. +campus pd and the fun goes away very swiftly), but it is possible. If the Track Bar doesn't fix my problem, then I'll check that too.

Thanks!