Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help please temp light on

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help please temp light on

I headed out on a fly fishing adventure and while driving up a very wash board road, the temp gauge dropped below cold and the little red light came on. I was in a bad spot so I had to drive about a block or so and pulled over. the one hose that attaches to the thermostat had come off and coolant was every where. We went for a hike to let the motor cool and slowly started adding water. Once full of water we headed back down out of the mountains but the temp gauge was still below cold and the light was on so we turned the motor off and coasted most of the way home. A few times we had to start the motor to get over a hill and the temp red light was always on and once an oil light come on. Oil is fine no drop in level and no water in it.
This rover had the head gaskets done last spring and I don't think I got it too hot before turning it off. So why is the temp light still on? Could I have ruined the thermostat? I don't want to make things worse so what should I do?
Thanks all.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I think if the thermo fails it's supposed to fail open or something, maybe it failed?

Old 10-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Mudding
Default Maybe I need to top the coolant off??

I've been thinking about this and am wondering if when I put the water in the over flow tank, it runs down and starts to fill up the radiator but unless the motor is running while I'm adding fluid, it won't get topped off, is that correct? So I'm wondering if I should run the motor and top off the over flow tank and see if the light turns off.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Pour in water when cold, with tank elevated if possible and air bleed valve open on the "T" connection.

However, if the engine coolant sensor is not in water (becuase there is still a large air pocket) it won't behave correctly. Bleed air from system at the T fitting when cold, raise coolant container up from the mounting so it will force out more air out.

BTW, coasting down was a good thing to do, to avoid engine damage. But braking and steering were tougher.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Mudding
Default I'm worried it might be the head gasket again

I topped off the antifreeze, started the rover, bleed the air bleed located front and center on the radiator hose but the temp gauge is still not moving and the light is still on. I checked the oil and it is fine but in looking at the exhaust it looks like moisture coming out. I'm hoping it is condensation but am afraid it might not be. The head gaskets were done about 9 months ago. This really stinks. Any suggestions??

Old 10-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Draayer
I topped off the antifreeze, started the rover, bleed the air bleed located front and center on the radiator hose but the temp gauge is still not moving and the light is still on. I checked the oil and it is fine but in looking at the exhaust it looks like moisture coming out. I'm hoping it is condensation but am afraid it might not be. The head gaskets were done about 9 months ago. This really stinks. Any suggestions??

Yes lots of suggestions,
1st is that your bleeding the system incorrectly you need to do it right in order to get all the air out.

1. Let truck sit and cool completely
2. Open reservoir cap
3. Open bleed screw
4. On reservoir there is a small hose that runs along side of battery box unclip hose from box
5. Pull reservoir forward and then lift up above battery box
6. Fill reservoir up with coolant until flowing out from bleeder screw
7. Put bleed screw back in and return reservoir to its place
8. Fill reservoir up to the cold line
9. Here is where every one has their own method and there are a few ways that work!
For me I leave cap off reservoir and start the truck, turn heater on high both sides & let truck run to operating temp you will see air bubbles at the top of reservoir that the air being forced out after air bubbles stop put cap on and take for a ride. You should hear no (waterfall) sounds under dash. Now park truck and let cool off again top off if needed!

If your still having light on after this your temp sensor would be the next item to change.

PS. It sounds like you still have the old style hose set-up if so you should change to the updated style when you can afford to so your not stranded somewhere.

Last edited by lr2001silver; 10-20-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If your oil light came on while the truck was overheating you overheated it so bad that the oil got so hot it could no longer provide oil pressure.
Bleed the cooling system properly and see what happens, maybe you got lucky.
Condensation coming out of the exhaust is normal, especially in colder weather.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I think if the thermo fails it's supposed to fail open or something, maybe it failed?

Some are made this way but not on the D II. I don't think this is the case here.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If temp sensor wire is unplugged will do same thing with light on, gauge at zero; it is on top between alternator and AC compressor.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Mudding
Default Clarification

The oil light (the light that looks like an old oil can) came on for a second after I got it cooled down and heading back down off the mountain.
When the hose came undone, I drove for about 2-3 block then pulled over and stopped. I let it cool, reconnected the hose, added water, and started it. At first start it didn't sound good but cleared up after a few seconds. I turned around, started heading down hill, put it in neutral, shut it off and coasted. When I got to a spot that was up hill I started it up, drove for a few blocks and thats when the oil light came on. The oil light doesn't come on anymore. It sounds fine but I'm still very concerned. I will bleed the system monday and see what happens. Any other recommendations?

Quick Reply: I need help please temp light on