Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was reading the owners manual and..........

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I was reading the owners manual and..........

.........it seems like on the other side of the pond when doing an oil change they like to drain the old oil,put new oil in and THEN replace the filter(p183).I have been changing oil for the past 23 years of my life and never did this.Do any of you guys do this?Also i know every one here likes to use Rotella and i will also use it but i have a new case of quaker state 10-w30 in my garage for 4 years that i want to use up.I plan on using this up put 3k on that oil dump it out and then refill with rotella 15w-40. Thoughts?

Old 04-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to go to the car and look at my owner's manual. That sounds odd. I looked it up in the service manual and under oil filter, is says to put the new filter in and then add the required amount of oil.

The odd thing is that it says to follow the procedure to change the oil filter before going to the directions to change the oil.

I never looked at the directions before. I always drain the oil from the drain pan, then crank the engine for a few seconds, then I remove the oil filter, and let everything drain for a little while. Then I fill the oil filter about halfway with new oil and I rub some oil on the gasket and put the new oil filter in. In the Discovery, I put 5 liter in and start the engine. Then I move the gear shift through all of the gears and shut it off. Then I put the rest of the oil in, let it set and then check the dipstick.

Just how I do it for all cars (except the amount of oil) and never look at the directions the manufacturer suggests.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Mudding

I just got my manual. It says in order to prevent the oil pump from draining the filter should be changed after the oil has been changed. I think I'll stick to the way I do it though.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Discovery SE7
I just got my manual. It says in order to prevent the oil pump from draining the filter should be changed after the oil has been changed. I think I'll stick to the way I do it though.
That is how I do it on all cars.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same here .........

Old 04-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Mudding

I tried to change the filter without draining the oil first and I ended up with oil all over the place, so started doing the way I do now.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If the way you are doing it the oil light goes off right away when you start it keep doing it that way. I drain the oil, and while that is dripping out do the filter, then plug it up, add oil and good to go.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I knew the book said that and I always thought it was odd too.

Here is how I do it, start oil draining, grease propshafts, replace drain plug.
Remove oil filter, clean mating surface with rag, oil new gasket, screw on new filter.
Add 7 qts of oil, back it off the ramps and let it idle while I put my tools away, park in her spot, shut her off and go about my day.
I dont bother checking the oil afterwards, I've never understood why, it takes 7 qts, I add 7qts, so its going to be full.
I do not put oil into the oil filter first.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I decided to put oil in the jumbo Mann / Purolator filter, after the first one I did took over ten seconds to turn off the low oil PSI light. Gives you a little more oil capacity as well.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well they drive on the wrong side too...

Actually that explains a lot doesn't it...?

Quick Reply: I was reading the owners manual and..........