Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I bought a lemon

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 03:58 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I bought a lemon

Hello,
Usually I think out everything I do. I do my research, shop around, and make wise decisions. I did a "little" research on discoveries before I bought one. I think I should have done more. I just purchased a 96 Discovery 4.0 SE. It has 70k mi on it. I saw the carfax report on it and it looks like the first guy that owned it took extremely good care of it. All of the maintence and oil changes were done. I mean, come on, the car only has 70k mi on it, how bad could it be right? That is the question that I want answered here.... Like an idiot, I saw the carfax report, and the mileage and assumed that I was getting a good deal. I only paid 3600 for it. I didn't inspect the vehicle as I should have. The car cosmetically is perfect, hardly a scratch on it. I was very suprised to see a 96 in such good shape.

PLEASE HELP ME BY TELLING ME WHAT ALL COULD BE WRONG- I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT CARS

There is a small gap between the catalytic converter and the pipe it connects to (engine side). A liquid is slowly dripping/spraying out of the gap when the car is on.

The engine has a funny smell, almost likecrazy glue, when running.

The check engine light is on and It has an error (I was told it was error p1030)

The tachometer (I think that's what it's called - the thing that tells you the RPM) doesn't work at all

The engine sounds a bit rough, there are clicks at times.

Doesn't idle very stable. It hasn't died, but it putters a bit.

Anything you can tell me would be great. I would just like to have an idea of what I'm in for before taking it into the shop. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance, and god bless.
Arron

Old 06-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I think I bought a lemon

If the tach is not working look to see if you have a bad battery and or alternator. Either of these will cause your tach to go out as well as your speedo. Also if its running rough change your plugs, wires, cap, fuel filters ect. Good Luck.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the tach, but mine once had smelly exhaust (like rotten eggs),idled roughly, and lit up the check engine light. It turned out to be an O2 sensor. I don't recall what the code was, though.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

First, calm down.....

Ok, what color is the liquid? Are you saying you have a gap in your exhaust pipe?

If your check engine light is on, go by a local autoparts store like autozone and have them read the codes. You may not want to drive it much until you post what your codes are. Check all of your fluids every day and make sure they are up to speed. You may also want to have your battery tested while you are at the parts store. They may even be able to test your alternator. It never hurts to know.

Get the codes and the tests and get back to us..

Good Luck....welcome to the club

Old 06-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Second, you didn't buy a lemon, you bought a 11 year old truck that needs some serious maintance.
First go get the exhaust leak repaired then you can started on the other things necessary to bring it back too life.
If you want call me and I will be glad to walk you thru what should be needed.
Mike
303-862-7680

Old 06-17-2007, 12:15 PM
2nd Gear

To all that responded:

Thanks for all of your reassurances.

I took it into the shop andhad the spark plugs and wires fixed. Got an oil change, fixed an oil leak, and changed the air filter. The exhaust problem was due to the catalytic converter being off center to the pipe. All that needed to be done was to be pulled back together.

It run's perfect. I am so relieved. It only cost 400 bucks.

I did have another quick question. The check engine light is on. Do they go off on their own, or do you need to have them reset? There may still be a problem with it. Also if you know what the CODE P1030 means, please let me know.
Thanks for everyone's help. This seems like a very good community.
Arron

Old 06-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Mudding

Usually, if you get the code read at AutoZone or some place that like, they should tell you what the code means.

Have them re-read it and tell you what exactly it says!

Happy Rovering!

John-Robert

Old 06-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Rock Crawling

You sure the code is a P1030 ? I can't find that code anywhere, but I guess it could be a Land Rover specific code and not listed among the generic codes. You have to have a reader machine to turn the check engine light off. Autozone can do it. I bought an interface a few years back so I can read and reset codes with my laptop. I have a '96 also, but it's an SD, not much difference, and once sorted out, it's a great truck.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have checked for the P1030 too and have found nothing. The 1 indicates it is manufacturer specific and not a generic code. You may have to call the dealer on that one.

The check engine light will stay on until the problem has been cleared or you reset it. If it has only been goin on for a little bit, it remains a soft code and will go off once the problem has been fixed. If is goes on for a while, it becomes a hard code, and will stay for a few drive cycles after being fixed. But, FYI- the engine defaults to a very rich mixture while the light is on. YOu will get bad MPG and soot up the pipe while the light is on.