Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i will pay 50$ for the correct answer!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i will pay 50$ for the correct answer!!!!

why wont my IP cluster work.... i have power going to it, its grounded and lots of things work on it!!

-high beam indicator
-SRS light
-Night illumination w/ dimmer

hand brake, turn signals, speedo, odo, gas gauge, etc do not work!!!

i will paypal 50% to the person with the correct answer

Old 12-05-2009, 04:20 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check fuse 27. Reading through the Rave CD all those instruments say similar thing:

"The power input for the LED is supplied by the instrument pack via fuse 27. The earth path for the warning lamps is from the BCU."

Old 12-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Winching

thats not it... sorry

the ip has power and some lights work..... heads light etc..

anyone else?

Old 12-05-2009, 06:21 PM
TReK

Here is some info from the electrical library, not sure if you have read through this:

OPERATION
Instruments Supply
Circuit supply
A feed from the battery positive terminal is connected on an R wire to the engine
compartment fusebox where it passes through fusible link 8 and fuses 10 and 13.
A permanent feed from fuse 13 is connected to the passenger compartment fusebox on a
PN wire. The feed is connected from the passenger compartment fusebox to the instrument
pack on a PO wire.
A feed from fusible link 8 is connected on an NW wire to the passenger compartment
fusebox and from the fusebox to the ignition switch on an N wire.

Speedometer - vehicles with ATC
The instrument pack is connected from pin C0230-16 on a KG wire via splice joint A87 and
header C0290 to pin C0504-3 on the SLABS ECU. The SLABS ECU sends a speed signal
to the instrument pack via this connection.

Fuel gauge
The fuel gauge is connected from pin C230-14 of the instrument pack to the fuel tank unit
on a GB wire. The fuel tank unit sends an earth input on a KB wire to pin C0230-13 on the
instrument pack. The fuel tank unit sender is of the variable resistance type and the fuel
gauge displays a value according to the input sent from the fuel tank unit sender.

Direction indicator warning lamps
The direction indicator left and right warning lamps are connected from the instrument pack
pin C0233-16 via header C0293 LHD/ C0292 RHD to pin C0661-1 on the BCU. This
connection is part of the serial data bus between the instrument pack and the BCU.
The BCU and the Intelligent Driver Module (IDM) control the operation of the direction
indicators warning lamps.
Refer to the direction indicators and hazard warning lamps section of this manual for details
of operation.

Handbrake and low brake fluid level warning lamp
The handbrake and low brake fluid level warning lamps are connected to the instrument
pack from pin C0230-10 on a KO wire to Header C0293 LHD/C0285 RHD. From header
CO293 LHD/C0285 RHD a KO wire is connected to the handbrake switch, the handbrake
switch is locally earthed.
A second connection from header C0293 LHD/C0285 RHD is connected to the brake fluid
level switch on a KO wire. The brake fluid level switch is earthed on a B wire.
If either of the switches closes, an earth circuit via the closed switch contacts is completed
and the handbrake/low fluid level warning lamp will be illuminated. Power for the warning
lamp is internally connected to a supply from pin C0230-19. Pin C0239-19 is supplied power
from the ignition feed from fuse 27 in the passenger compartment fusebox.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Either your instrument cluster came unplugged or it went bad.
The gauges are separate from the lights.
If you were to pull out your cluster the back of it looks like a circuit board, there is a multi plug that plugs into the back of it.
Lower your steering wheel all the way down, there are 2 screws that hold the cowling on, lift it off and remove the cluster.
http://www.roverlandparts.com/2003-2...ntcluster.aspx

Old 12-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Winching

so you guys think the cluster went bad, considering everything else works?

Old 12-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Winching

first, check the plug connection.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Winching

the connection is fine, i have already removed the cluster since this problem and re installed it... no dice...

Old 12-05-2009, 11:11 PM
TReK

Have you checked fusible link 8 and fuses 10 and 13?

Old 12-06-2009, 07:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

my arguement is that each of the items listed as "not working" have individual inputs, These inputs all appear to be negative, so my thoughts would be this: bad connection on power or a bad (burnt) trace on the circuit board. as I had previously stated you can isolate the problem by testing the individual wires at the connector on the back of the cluster. if they are producing a signal then the problem is in the cluster if not the problem lies somewhere else.

here is how you should test the wires (I am going on the info from lipadj46):
place negative probe of meter on each wire and positive probe on a good positive 12volt source.

pink/green wire is speed signal this wire will pulse negative as the wheels turn (I would very slowly roll the car in the driveway to test this wire)

pink/black wire is the fuel input wire (this one I wasn't 100% on because there are 2 wires listed above for the fuel) this wire when connected to the meter should read a certain voltage level depending on the amount of fuel in the tank I would say if you read from 3-10 volts you are good.

pink/orange wire is the brake warning lamp wire this wire will provide ground if the parking brake is applied or the brake fluid level gets low.

I would test these wires and report back your results. If they are all correct I would then inspect the circuit board on the cluster then repair/replace as needed.
A burnt trace is often visible and if you are not to bad with a soldering iron sometimes this may be repairable, I have soldered a few in the past successfully.

Quick Reply: i will pay 50$ for the correct answer!!!!