Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideal coolant/water ratio for 20-90F weather, draining and cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 09:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Ideal coolant/water ratio for 20-90F weather, draining and cleaning?

Hi everyone,

I’ve had some different types of coolant in the cooling system of my DII and I think it’s time to correct that. The weather here has a typical range of 30F to 85F with average days being around 75F in the summer.

I’m wondering if there’s a generally accepted ideal coolant for these vehicles? I've read all sorts of suggestions, like use Zerex or just use any green stuff, or only use the real LR fluid, but I figured I’d check and see if that’s changed.

I’d plan to get concentrate and dilute it with distilled water. Is there a ratio you use or a ratio you’d recommend for this climate?

I’m also wondering if there’s a best accepted method of draining the system?

The system hasn’t been cleaned in a while (I’ve never done it) and I’m wondering if I’d just run hose water through it to clean it up, or if that would be a bad idea? I have lots of bad ideas, but I try to check before going through with them.

I hope everyone is well. How about this heat?

Also, is it an old wives’ tale that it’s good to run the heater all the time, even -and especially- in summer? Or will this start to break the heating system, so I’ll be screwed when I’d actually like it to work?

Old 08-09-2020, 07:04 PM
Rock Crawling

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I've seen a lot of information that is either conflicting or probably isn't specific to a climate like the one I'm in.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:28 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

I think your're over-thinking it. I use regular green Prestone, 50/50 with distilled water and pull the lower rad hose to flush it every 2-3 years. Done and done.

Others may have different ideas.

The following 3 users liked this post by Red5:
Best4x4 (08-09-2020), jastutte (08-10-2020), neuropathy (08-10-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 08:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Yeah, definitely overthinking it. Low cost green coolant 50/50 is fine.

The following 2 users liked this post by Extinct:
Best4x4 (08-09-2020), jastutte (08-10-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 09:18 PM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Drain the radiator, pull the block drains on either side and fill with water, run and bleed, run and bleed, run and bleed. Then start over. Do this as many times as you have to until the stuff you drain out looks like water. Then fill with pre-diluted green antifreeze, I use the Peak Asian formula green, because its REALLY green. But I think any green will do.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 894 Likes on 645 Posts

Pull the lower hose from the radiator and let it drain. It'll be messy; be sure to use a BIG catch pan.

Refill with water only. Some people say to use distilled water. Distilled water is very inexpensive so use it if you like.

Repeat the process as many times you have until there's no visible color left. For my truck that usually takes 2-3 cycles. At that point the system will be very, very close to having water only in it.

At that point, drain it again as completely as you can and refill with Prestone concentrate, not the 50-50 mix. That will give you, with the water that's left in the system, very close to the 50-50 mix that is your target.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by neuropathy
Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is well. How about this heat?

Also, is it an old wives’ tale that it’s good to run the heater all the time, even -and especially- in summer? Or will this start to break the heating system, so I’ll be screwed when I’d actually like it to work?
on these trucks the coolant is always flowing through the heater core.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:49 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Red5
I think your're over-thinking it. I use regular green Prestone, 50/50 with distilled water and pull the lower rad hose to flush it every 2-3 years. Done and done.

Others may have different ideas.
Thanks - I'd heard that green coolant types shouldn't be used and that it was more of a reddish-pink coolant that's intended to be used here.

When you flush the system, do you mean you just let it drain or do you use distilled or hose water or some other kind of flush?

Old 08-10-2020, 01:50 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by jastutte
on these trucks the coolant is always flowing through the heater core.
So that means running the heater in the vehicle helps the system cool better, or that doing so is pointless?

Old 08-10-2020, 03:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

@neuropathy well cranking to max will turn off the AC, and with the fan on max you will get a bit of additional cooling so it helps a bit. Ideally a manual switch for the AC fan would be more helpful as it would move more air if you are moving slowly along a trail.

Quick Reply: Ideal coolant/water ratio for 20-90F weather, draining and cleaning?