Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideal coolant/water ratio for 20-90F weather, draining and cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 04:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

My cooling system maintenance
Flush: drain, fill with distilled water, vent, drive around the block.
Repeat that three times.
Add coolant: drain, add half the specified amount (from manual) concentrate. Add distilled water until full (now you have 50/50 solution again), vent. Next morning, when cold, vent again, add distilled water if necessary.

The mixture ratio determines the temperature range: Here is a nice table for ethyl glycol: https://www.vapcocompany.com/glycol-calculator/

Since the system is pressurized by about 14psi, the boiling point increases to about 260F (50/50 coolant).

For your temperature range, you could use a mixture with a higher water content, but I wonder if there is an advantage at all. The more water the less corrosion protection you get.

I use Dex-Cool BTW.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 894 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by neuropathy
Thanks - I'd heard that green coolant types shouldn't be used and that it was more of a reddish-pink coolant that's intended to be used here.
A brand name for the reddish-pink coolant used and recommended by Land Rover from the factory is Dexcool. If you search for Dexcool on this forum you'll find a virtually limitless list of threads discussing its merits, and more importantly, the problems it can cause in some circumstances. Many (most?) of us on this forum switched years ago to good ol' green ethylene glycol-based coolant. I use Prestone concentrate because it's available almost everywhere (namely Walmart).

The important point is to not mix Dexcool and green ethylene glycol-based coolant. That causes problems, and that's why you want to be sure to fully flush the system if you're switching from Dexcool to anything else.

Originally Posted by neuropathy
When you flush the system, do you mean you just let it drain or do you use distilled or hose water or some other kind of flush?
The procedure I described above is how I flush the system (drain and refill the system 2-3 times with plain water (tap or distillied)). It's a little time consuming, but it's worked well for me. Drive the truck 10 miles or so after each drain/refill cycle. Let the truck cool down between each drain/refill cycle. I usually do it over a weekend, starting Saturday morning and wrapping up Sunday afternoon. Repeat the process every two years.

Last edited by mln01; 08-10-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 894 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Discorama
Add coolant: drain, add half the specified amount (from manual) concentrate. Add distilled water until full (now you have 50/50 solution again), vent. Next morning, when cold, vent again, add distilled water if necessary.
Uh ...

No.

When you drain the system by removing the lower radiator hose about half of the fluid in the system remains in the system, mostly in the engine.

That means that after 2-3 cycles of draining and refilling with plain water, when you drain the final time you'll have all water in the system; about half the volume of the system capacity. Refilling the system with antifreeze concentrate therefore gets the system to 50/50. Does that make sense?

And then, follow the RAVE instructions to bleed the system of air. Bleeding the system is another topic that has generated an enormous number of threads and posts on this and other forums. Following the RAVE instructions EXACTLY has never failed me.

Good luck.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
Refilling the system with antifreeze concentrate therefore gets the system to 50/50. Does that make sense?
Only if you can make sure that you get exactly 50% out with every drain. Otherwise, if you top up with concentrate the ratio is not 50/50.