Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idleing problem-help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 04:11 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idleing problem-help!!!!

hey guys, new to the land rover seen, need help with a high idleing problem on a 98 disco 1. I have replaced the idle speed motor 3 times and still stays up around 2000. whats funny is each one affected it differently at first and once i drove it about 3 miles it jumped right back up to 2000 rpm. i have tried unhooking the the battery for 12 hours. still the same thing. ive heard that the alternator could cause this problem, when i got it the belt was on wrong and the tach didint work, fixed that problem. i have checked for vacum leaks, cant find any. this thing is not setting any codes either. some say that a fuel filter or pump could cause the high idle. if any of this is true what do i need to look for?

Old 11-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: idleing problem-help!!!!

When I bought mine used it was idling at 2000-3000 rpm, I checked everything and it still did it... I drilled out the cap on the idle control cranked it all the way down, still idled at 2000-3000...

I looked closer at it and noticed the person who had it before me bent the throttle arm on the TB down to increase the idle and the idle bump stop hex bolt was cranked all the way up, I cranked the bolt down that dropped the rpm to normal... I cranked up the idle control bolt under the cap I drilled out and that brought the RPM up a bit, then I bent the throttle arm back to normal, then tweaked that idle control a little more to get the RPMs where I wanted them at idle. It took me a while to figure this out as I was checking everything but the position of the throttle arm on the TB, after fixing that it worked perfect, hope this helps.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:29 PM
7th Gear

i checked the throttle linkage and stopping pin and it hasnt been tampered with, but the plate your talking about is dead on top of the intake above the idle stepper motor? looks sort of like a freeze plug and it has to be drilled out?

Old 11-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah it's right ontop of the tb... I used a reverse threaded drill bit, and it backed it right off... it doesn't look like it should be removed, but it should. haha

Old 11-14-2006, 12:10 AM
7th Gear

SOMEONE TOLD ME TODAY THAT I CAN TAKE IT TO THE ROVER PLACE AND DO AN IDLE RELEARN ON IT. I TRYED TO TURN ON THE IDLE BLEED SECREW AND IT DIDNT AFFECT IT.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: rhymered

SOMEONE TOLD ME TODAY THAT I CAN TAKE IT TO THE ROVER PLACE AND DO AN IDLE RELEARN ON IT. I TRYED TO TURN ON THE IDLE BLEED SECREW AND IT DIDNT AFFECT IT.
The dealer can reprogram your ECU, that might be the answer. I would call the Service Manager and ask him.
Mike

Old 11-16-2006, 12:18 AM
7th Gear

YEAH, IM GOING TO DO THAT IN THE MORNING, I HOPE IT DOSENT BREAK ME UP TO BAD. HAHA

Old 11-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Let us know what happens.
Mike

Old 11-20-2006, 09:40 PM
7th Gear

this thing is starting to have an erratic idle, now sometimes it idles right then sometimes not at all, would a reprogram help that

Old 11-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Winching

What brand battery is in it?

Quick Reply: idleing problem-help!!!!