Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idler Pulley(s) ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idler Pulley(s) ???

well my son and I will be replacing the power steering pump and hoses this Friday. While we are at it may as well do the idler pulley(s). Have a past service receipt from the PO that suggests replacing due to "noise, age, miles," ect. We had noticed a "chirp" from the front of the engine but hadn't tracked it down to a specific location. May have even been the PAS pump!

So my question is... Can I just press out the idler pulley bearing and replace it or should I forego the effort and purchase from AB? Not realy sure where I might find replacement bearings. AB has the 80mm polyvee pulley (~43.00) and a 70mm (~27). Are the (OEM) polyvee pulleys the way to go or should the replacements be steel? Your suggestions would be welcomed.

Front driveshaft, Roto-flex & U-joint, PAS pump and hoses, Floor mat set, Clock backlight, 60K service fluids - almost through our first thousand in repairs! Sharing the experience with my son - priceless! Be Safe, Mark V.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Idler Pulley(s) ???

I would replace the whole idler only becdause the spring gets weak with time and won't keep the proper tension on the belt.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Drifting

Mike, I am looking to replace the two iindividual dler pullies not the tensioner unit with the spring. AB lists these single pullies as 80 and 70 mm. LR did a recall on one or more and replaced them (I think with steel versions). The truck is at a friends house so I am uncertain if my pullies are the steel ones. I did a search and found a lot of inputs about NAPA bearings (6203 &6403) that may fit the pullies. I am hoping to get a response from some who has actually pressed the bearing out and had success with the swap. I would prefer to have the steel version pully but all the replacements seem to be plastic. I quess they figure the plastic (or polyvee) whould be quiter? Thanks and Be SAfe, Mark V.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Drifting

CheifII,

Can you let me know as wel how that works. I ahve the same problem going on and need to replace the idler bearings. I looked at one of my bearings (passenger side) and is looked like the pulley and bearing was integrated or molded together. Not sure how I would press out the old bearing without breaking the plastic pulley. Let me know.

Thanks,

WB

Old 03-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Drifting

WB,
I never came to any clear conclusion on the matter. Some had the opinion that the 80mm could have teh bearing pressed out and replaced. The 70mm one was reported to have the bearing cast into teh pulley and pressing it out would end the pulleys life. Do a Search and you will find many opinions on what aftermarket bearings will fit the idler pulleys. I ended up not replacing any of my mine. The power steering pump replacement silenced my pulley noises. I have a metal 80mm idler pulley above the power steering pump and a plastic 70mm one below the tensioner. I haven't found out if there is a metal LR pulley that would replace the plastic one on the tensioner side. Any of the LR aftermarket parts shops have the pulleys at resonable prices. Once you replace them you shouldn't ever have to do anything to them in the future. Be Safe, Mark V.