Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Coil trouble need help understanding a few things

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 07:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Coil trouble need help understanding a few things

Hi all,

I have a 2003 DII started throwing P1300, P0303 and P0302 codes after some rain Sunday into Monday. The truck runs noticeable rough(its done this before after a rain but it has cleared on its own after a few minutes).
P1300 Ignition Miss fire P0303 Misfire Cylinder #3 and P0302 Miss fire Cylinder #2.

Testing with a spark plug there is no spark on those two cylinders. Looking at the wire map to the two coils I can see that both cylinders are serviced by the same coil lower two connectors. This makes me wonder if the coil could have two dead ports out of four? Seems plausible but I thought perhaps someone here might know for sure.

The next question is how does a 4 port coil get the signal to fire each of these in the proper order? Looking at photos of coils on line I see only three connectors. I ask the question because I want to understand if my issue could be at the ECU and not the coil or a wire between the ecu and coil. I'm assuming the answer is no but would like to confirm how the coil knows to fire each cylinder.

Last question and this is just because I have been thinking way to much about what a pain its going to be to replace the coil is this. How does the engine know that a particular cylinder is missfiring or in my case not firing at all. As far as the ECU knows it send the signal to the coil to fire I'm unaware of how its able to detect that the coil is not able to get the juice to the spark plug.

Because it was easy I replaced the plugs and verifyed good connections and no spark on those two cylinders.

Thanks for any help

Old 07-24-2018, 08:19 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

I know they are a pain to get to
the engine ecu does all that thinking so don't ratle your head

this is a perfect chance to get the relocation kit and the 8 mm wires kit
that way it's much easier to troubleshoot in the future

Old 07-25-2018, 07:46 AM
Three Wheeling

Thank you for the response. Where does one get the relocation kit?

Old 07-25-2018, 08:13 AM

There is information about it here if you search the forums I think it's a member here that makes the kit and sells it on eBay. And he will give you the part # for the wires you need to get

Old 07-25-2018, 08:15 AM

Lr03nj. Is the member here that makes this kit. Contact him for all info

I haven't done it but in the future I will because it's a pain to get into the ignition coils

Old 07-25-2018, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Some aftermarket coils require you to modify the bracket slightly by widening it where the coil sits inside it (no big deal). Yes the location isn’t the best, but it is not a big deal to get to really (I’ve done the job in 30min on a non SAI D2). You can remove the upper intake with the TB, IAC, the SAI smaller solenoid, and purge control valve still mounted (or let the purge control valve just hang off to the side.

If you can’t slip the coil packs out without removing the wires take a small piece of a 2x4 and very carefully push the AC lines toward the bulkhead. That will give you just enough clearance to remove the coil packs with the wires still intact and you can install it with the wires on it as well.

First time it might seem like a nightmare, but trust me it is far from it. SAI makes it have a few more steps, but it is not a bad job. I’ve had harder times replacing coil on plug configurations that were burried under all sorts of stuff.

I would recommend a new intake manifold gasket (can get em off ebay for as low as 6.00). Sometimes you can re-use it, but if it’s at all rusted or warped I’d replace it.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:17 PM
Three Wheeling

Thank you very much for the advice and encouraging words.