General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Died on the highway today

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 11:53 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Died on the highway today

Just cut out on me and rolled to a stop. Opened the hood and it felt very warm. The ignotion coil was too hot to touch. No spark as well. Is it normal for it to be this hot? Never seen that before. Did it just fry?

Old 07-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Died on the highway today

These are not questions you will need to answer. No it is not normal or all Rovers would be at the side of the road with their hoods up. Yes, the coil can be very hot to the touch as well as anything under the hood after being driven for awhile.
What will help is a year, model and mileage, coil or coil packs ???
Could it be the coil, possibly but really need you to supply some more information.
Mike

Old 07-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Three Wheeling

Mike's right. Year, model and motor please.
With the temp is where it is in the U.S. this month they all get HOT.
However; the heat should not cause your vehicle to just die.
I'm lucky to be able to touch my hood when it is this hot.
No spark means bad coil, ECU or distributor.
When you get it home; pull the coil wire from the distributor and check for spark there.
If you have no spark from the coil... It can actually be a number of things including the coil or ECU.
If you have spark from the coil wire; then the distributor internals may be the issue.
This distributor is not just a rotor and cap as on most American cars.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Drifting

1993 RR LWB. I replaced the coil and get spark from it but the spark at the plug looks weak. The coil still gets very hot even without the motor running---car has been sitting for 3 days but turn on the ignition and the new coil goes to 178 degrees in about 5-8 minutes! I have a new ignition module in the car. Won't start now after it died. I have fuel and I have spark to the distributor. But the really hot coil is bothering me.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:21 PM
Winching

There is an in-line resistor to step down the coil voltage for your NAS 93' LWB. It should be taped into the harness near the coil. It should have two spade connectors and a small rectangular black box in between them. I'll bet it's missing... Let us know.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Drifting

I think it's there. I saw something there the other day but I didn't disconnect it to see if it is in there. I recently added a Toddco ignition amplifier which may be shot already. It is supposed to be super heavy duty but may have been toasted by whatever is going on with the coil. I'm getting up early tomorrow with my multimeter and going to work. According to the RR manual it should be 1v less than battery voltage.....sound about right to you? If it's not the amplifier, then maybe the pickup???......we'll see.....