Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition issues

Hello again everybody! Many of you helped me out with my D2 problems a few months ago.

One good piecee of advice was to buy an Ultragauge. I've had one up and running for a while now.

So I'm driving down the road, and while stopped at a light the truck shudders, the radio quiets for half a second and the RPMs drop a bit. At the same time the Ultra Guage beeps out two trouble codes a few seconds apart.

First was a P0300 followed by a P0302. The truck was doing a bit of a rough idle. I pulled off the main road. I had no Internet device with me so I slowly drove it the few blocks home. It seemed fine while driving, just a little rough at idle.

Got home, looked up the codes; 300 is bad exhaust gases or something and the 302 is misfire cylinder 2. I popped the hood and had a look. Pulled the wire on #2 and it popped right off. It was broken right at the plug connector. Part of it left on the plug. Good. Easy fix. (lol)

I bought some wires. I did not get 8 mm mangecors. I got some NKG wires. Thinner than what was on there. I replaced just the one wire. Fired it up and it ran OK. NO codes. Drove it a few blocks and started getting a rough idle and more 302 codes.

So I bought some plugs. Same ones that were in there; NKG Irridiums.
Pulled the #2 plug. It was a little fouled. Smelled like gas. Pulled the plug next to it. It looked OK. I'll post pics of them in a few hours.

Replaced just the one new plug. Fired it up. Not running as rough, but still throwing 302 codes.

Obviously I should change all the wires and plugs at the same time. Having one different wire and new plug must throw off the combustion? I was hoping for a quick fix (so I could drive to my dentist appointment this morning!).

I was concerned that the replacement wire did not make a good connection on the distributer. It has a slightly different connector than the other plugs. I tried reseating it a couple of times and it seems to sit in there properly.

So that was as far as I got. I should probably check for spark on #2. Is it safe for me to put a plug in the wire and touch it to the block while the truck is running? Did I do damage driving home on 7 cylinders? Could it be a fuel delivery issue? Can bad mixture or something else cause that clyinder to overheat and then fry the plug wire? Could it be a bad coil?

Or do I just need to finish replacing all he wires and plugs and let the computer do its thing?

I think I might purchase a fatter set of wires. I can't find Magnecors here in Calgary. Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys. I'll be putting on the coveralls later today when the freezing wears off.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

try Kingsbourne wires out of cal. they have 8 & 8.5mm wires for half the price of magnacores I just put a set on my P-38.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't use any wire under 7 mm and they must be silicone.
As for your truck, what year is it, how many miles on it and when was it last tuned?
As for your codes, need to have a better idea what they are, in your case, a 300 is a mutiple misfire not bad exhaust gases.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Mudding

Hi Mike,
Oops. I forgot the details.

NA 1999 Disco 2. 240,000 Kms.

I bought it from an independent rover shop. ( it belong ended to the wife of the owner). My understanding is that they have been preemptive with maintenance. Last service was (other than oil changes) was Feb 2012. Not sure what they did.

I have read through your service stickies a number of times and am planning on doing an oil change, greasing, and coolant flush soon. I was also thinking of doing the sea foam thing.

I would normally take it in to TRS Automotive ( a local Rover specific shop), but I might not get more work until the fall, and I have plenty of time. More time than money. I also need to be able to do a service myself while out in the bush next winter so I might as well learn how to properly do it now in the comfort of my own shade tree.

This truck has been running very well since I've owned it.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
try Kingsbourne wires out of cal. they have 8 & 8.5mm wires for half the price of magnacores I just put a set on my P-38.
DANG, those are cheap. Are they silicone? Are they 2.5mm stainless windings inside? If so, they are an awesome price.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:13 AM
Baja

I only problem I had was trying to get them to stay in the stock holders, I would buy their holders made for 8mm wires for extra $10 next time.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
I only problem I had was trying to get them to stay in the stock holders, I would buy their holders made for 8mm wires for extra $10 next time.
I went ahead and contacted them and they confirmed they are 8mm Silicone. For $35.87, you cannot beat that price. I'm now asking what the core material is made of to see how it compares to the Magnacore ones. I believe Magnacore is 2.0mm Stainless with some extra materials (Ferrimagnetic base over kevlar and fiberglass substrate).

Old 05-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Baja

all I need to hear was they were 8mm or 8.5mm and silicone and I was in, basically because I know no set of wires will ever be on one of my vehicle for more than 4-5-years away.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Mudding

So replaced all he wires and plugs. Still getting P0302 trouble code. Runs a little rough. I made sure that the plugs were well seated.

So what should I do next? Is there a way to check the coils or should I just go ahead and replace them? I certainly don't want to just start replacing parts that don't need replacing.

Could it be an injector issue? What else could cause this issue?

I think if I do change the coils I will change out he plug wires to something else. My local shop says they don't like the NGK plug wires and are interested in how I get along with them. I already don't like them because they either put a wrong cable in my box set or they are cheaping out because the number 4 cable is shorter than what was on there ( good thick STI wires) and makes for a tight fit.

Thanks again for he help.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

So swap the wire for cylinder 2 and see if problem moves with the wire. It is getting dark now, look at it in total darkness for any arcs.

Quick Reply: Ignition issues