Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ignition lock fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 10:10 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clarification???

Hi, I am reading this thread thinking it is a godsend as my disco is in this shape right now. I am looking at the last picture in your post where you are removing the little spring. Am I correct in assuming I must either remove the brass piece or grind it down? Ans if so how do I know the offender? Does it stick up? Do I grind the top, or bottom? Thanks. Just trying to get all the details clear before I start.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want the cylinder to be smooth so that it turns. With the key in the cylinder file the bass wafers so that they are smooth with the cylinder.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:35 PM
3rd Gear
Default Clarification...

Thank you very much Cap-N-Cray, excellent picture, it answers everything. I just have 1 additional question: The wafers on the bottom that are "too low" look to be higher than the one that is "just right"? Am I missing something? If it is as the picture shows, I will simply file the too high ones to look like the just right one minus the retaining pin. Not trying to beat a dead horse, just make sure I get it right. Again many thanks.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:21 PM
Overlanding

The wafers all need to be filed so the cylinder turns in the barrel. File with the best key you have in the cylinder till the cylinder with turns freely in the barrel. With the cylinder in the barrel with the key removed the cylinder should not turn. Lubrication will help as will a brass replacement key that will not saw the wafers out of alignment. The steel key slowly saws away the interior of the wafer which causes the problem in the first place...

Old 02-18-2017, 02:27 PM
3rd Gear
Default All Clear

Got it. Thank you very much.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Drifting

Hey guys I initially had this issue but now every once in a while my barrel will spin, sometimes the car will start and I cannot get it off. They key will pop out and the car is still running, its like it gets stuck in the ignition lock and won't come free until i play with it for quite some time. Curios if this is a fix for that as well, or does anyone know how to tighten up a spinning barrel?

Thanks
Frankie

Old 03-18-2017, 05:39 PM
Drifting

Can someone tell me what stops the barrel from spinning? Would it be the retaining pin? I suddenly started to have a spinning ignition, i can start and shut it off with no issues just need to push the key in a bit but if i dont push in and just turn it will spin around endlessly lol. I'm debating over buying a used one or new one from BA and just having it rekeyed to work with my set.

Thanks
Frankie

The following users liked this post:
grew (01-09-2024)
Old 12-07-2017, 09:41 PM
4wd Low

Great thread, massive help. Thanks!

Old 07-12-2018, 10:11 PM
8th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrDash
Can someone tell me what stops the barrel from spinning? Would it be the retaining pin? I suddenly started to have a spinning ignition, i can start and shut it off with no issues just need to push the key in a bit but if i dont push in and just turn it will spin around endlessly lol. I'm debating over buying a used one or new one from BA and just having it rekeyed to work with my set.

Thanks
Frankie
Did you resolve the problem ? My 04 just started doing the same thing .

Old 07-13-2018, 03:34 PM
Mudding

Do I need to disconnect the battery to do this?

Quick Reply: ignition lock fix