Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 12:03 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Question

I have a '97 Disco I with 100,000 miles. The issue I seem to be having is that every now and then I go to start it and when I hit the key I get nothing. No clicking, no nothing. I can turn the key form the off to the start positions as many times as I like and nothing. Then if I take the key completely out of the ignition and put it back in and it will start. This only happens every once in a while and I can't seem to tie it to any other action. I am at a bit of a loss.

Another issue, and I am not sure if it is related, I have had the truck for a year now. When I got it I could go though the auto car wash with no trouble. Now if I go through about half way through the wash it will just die. It will not start again for several hours. I am assuming that water is now getting some place that it shouldn't. Is there any one place that I should start looking?

I know this is a bit long and may be hard to diagnose like this but I am hoping that someone may have had the same issues and has a fix.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Ignition Question

I just traded in my '97 Disco with 97,000 on her. My ignition did the same thing, too, but not very often. I just got used to it. Never resolved. My old Disco started to show cracks in all the rubber seals around the windows, especially the back and around the corners of the front. Water would stay in places it shoulndn't be for a long time. Whenever I slammed the cargo door shut, water would spurt out from around the glass. Also, small bits of rust began to develop (wouldn't notice without knowing it was there) around the alpine windows. I knew it was getting time to move on though when water would seep to unknown places around the front glass. My recommendation would be to inspect your seals/rubber very closely, and check for water in areas it shoudn't be after getting it wet. New rubber seals might cost some cash, though.

TeayYonex
USA

Old 06-10-2005, 12:19 AM
Winching

MSJ,

Regarding your first issue, does the Check Engine light illuminate prior to cranking ?

Second issue, does it stall out while driving in the rain also ?

Old 06-13-2006, 10:58 AM
8th Gear

I'm in the middle of something very similair I posted topic "got engine wet" check out the thread. I can slowly slind the key into ignition and get the drivers side door buzzer to activate, but everything else is completely gone. Let me know if you find a solution thanks, Jack