Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Wires and Warrentys

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Wires and Warrentys

Hi guys I have a little problem with my 03 Disco HSE7. I bought the truck 3 months ago with 58K+ on it CPO from the Land Rover Dealership. Since then I have had a new Radiator installed (but they used the old hoses as they are not covered by warrenty and never told me that as I would have paid for new hoses), the Transfer Box was "re-sealed", new Exhaust Gaskets and a few other things. Now I just drove it 1600 miles to North Carolina and back for Thanksgiving with my wifes family and it ran great. When we got home on Saturday we washed it down and parked it. On Monday morning my wife got in it to drive to work and the Check Engine light was flashing and the car was shaking, she called me (already at work) and told me all this. We had it towed to the dealership and they called me the next day with the news.

We need to replace the Ignition switch (warrenty, ok), we need to replace the head gaskets as they are leaking oil and coolant (warrenty, ok) we need to replace the radiatior hose from radiator to expansion tank($12, would have rather done that when radiator was replaced), and the BIG ONE - We need to replace the Ignition Wires, not covered by warrenty and looking to cost us around $400+. Do you guys think its unreasonable to think on good will they should replace this under warrenty? Also under the CPOthey say that the cars next closest service is done before purchace, would that have been a 60K service including the wires?

I know that this truck has 61000 miles on it now and that these things happen but in my short time of ownership this is upsetting. I have always wanted a Disco and this is my first, is this truck going down hill or are these normal 60K+ things and will it get better?

Old 11-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Ignition Wires and Warrentys

Not sure on the warranty, but I know doing the wires is expensive. The dealer usually takes off the intake, so you have to replace that gasket as well. Just make sure you get 8MM Magnacor wires to install. Don't put anything else on. Lifetime warranty and your truck will run happier.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the advice on the Maganacore's, what does the car run with from the factory?

Old 11-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Camel Trophy

They are only 7MM. The coils put out more than they can handle, but it still runs ok. Getting the 8MM will give you the best spark, giving you a better burn and less carbon build up. The main reason for the brand is that they make them in set specifically for your truck so you know they are the right size.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

While they are doing the head gaskets, have them replace the plug wires with a set of Magnacor 8mm wires. As long as the heads are off the wires should be replaaced for free, as far as the labor goes.
Order the wires today at 650-365-4145, as for Tony.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Overlanding

They are not going to charge me the labor for the wires, just cost of parts, (which I may now aquire on my own), I am more just upset that this is happening and think that this shoulds be a warrenty fix, but they do claim the wires are "wear items" so... Anyway I will get the magnacores.

As far as what I have mentioned previously does this all sound like normal 60K problems, or is this truck going down hill? What else should I expect to go bad soon? I do like this truck and the whole LAND ROVER experiance but I am just concerned as my wife does drive it to and from work, I just get to have the weekend fun!

Old 11-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Camel Trophy

The wires are a wear item. Get a set from Tony and have the dealer throw them on while they are in there. Getting the head gaskets done under warranty is great. It is a common failure.

The only other thing to watch is your front driveshaft. The 2 U-joints to the rear of the shaft in the double cardan joint do not have grease zerks and cannot be serviced. They are close to the cat and get hot. This makes them freeze up and bust. With 60K on the ticker, I would suggest you have them changed to serviceable ones. I heard LR finally has one's with zerks, so you might want to ask the dealer how much to re-build it with these while it is there. Many will just replace the shaft with the same kind that it came with. You can go by a transmission shop and get a quote from them. They will be cheaper than the dealer.

Search the 60K service on this forum. DiscoMike has put together a great list to do if you aren't sure the 60K was done.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I bet if the Rover District rep went in a reviewed your file he would find that there are too many things being replaced all at once that shouldn't be, good for you, possibily not needed and Rover is getting stuck with it.
As for the wires, they were covered by the 4 year 50K warranty and not by any of the state or federal warrantys, yes, they are a wear item but they won't cover them.
By the way, the Magnacor wires, which are far better then the Factory wires are just over $100 and come with a lifetime warranty.