Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm in brake hell

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
im no sure where you ordered your space spark plugs from but shipping must have been insane on those... i never said go to the dealer for anything. especially to blow $130 in diagnostics. You can nearly buy a reader yourself for that much. There are plenty of people on here willing to help out, rent out equipment and such. I don't know whose advice you took that told you to put a re-usable air filter in but that is the wrong advice. paper filters go in your disco. any re-usable oiled filter will either kill your MAF sensor if over-oiled or your engine if under-oiled for a long time. The horn button assembly is your biggest expense. It's $113 new from the dealer or you can try and get a used one out of an 03 or an 04 with less wear and tear. 2 torx bolts and 20 mins of your time for that simple repair. i don't know why you are using a paperlclip to adjust your seats. what are you missing? are the covers to the switches missing? you can get the cupholders that screw to the center console for $59 off AB they don't crumble. If you paid $10k for it you got screwed. you can get an 04' for that much.
No, no. The wires. They are the 8.5mm Magnacore's. The plugs are the Iridium ones, and they cost about 6 bucks each.

I would love to go somewhere else for diagnosis. I have yet to locate anyone with an ABS code reader for a landrover. There is a place in Boise that does diagnosis exclusively, and they don't even have it. I have tried two different foreign car shops(one even does Jaguar) and they say that they don't have the chip.

I don't need a horn button assembly. I need a horn button. 113$ for a horn button? No. I have cut off the electrical, and super glued the button in place. TaDa....

No excuse for the cupholder......except that i'm supposed to pay 60 bucks + shipping for a cupholder.

When the armrest came crashing down(what I was doing at the time is nobody's business besides me and the hooker on 9th street) it swiped the controls for the seat, breaking off the little black plastic pieces that allow you to tilt the switch. This of course tilts the seat forward and back. I still have the buttons, but only one will stay on as it doesn't have those black plastic nubbs (the one that moves the seat forward and back).

I paid 8,900 for it in 2007. And I only say "I paid..." because I am paying for it. My wife bought this at the local Land Rover dealer. If I had been there I would have smacked her around for even suggesting that we buy it. IMO it has been wrecked, which could account for a lot of the problems. As soon as she came home with it, I immediately took it back to the dealer to point out that the spacing in the doors were different on either side of the truck, the black fender flares didn't match, the exhaust appeared to be brand new, and the bumper was partially unglued on the bottom rear. They handed me a clear vehicle history(which doesn't mean squat if you ask me) and I knew I had just been screwed.

So yea....I guess I am just angry right now. Another part of this could be the fact that I have never driven a vehicle(regularly) manufactured after 1977. So when the magical lights on the dash tell me there's a problem it kind of pisses me off. And when I can't drive down to Schuck's or Napa and get what I need the aggravation level goes through the roof. And finally, when I can't find someone to tell me what the lights want without financially ruining me, I reach my breaking point. I apologize to those I have offended here. My problems appear to be an isolated incident..... and perhaps caused by being from Idaho....ironic.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

RSW solutions makes a reader for you ABS sytem people on here rent them out. They cost $200 new.

you can't buy just a horn button it is a whole assembly two horn buttons attached to a wiring harness... believe me i already accomplished this task. and yes its $113 for the entire harness.

if i were you i would either try and affix the buttons with epoxy to the switches or buy that part used from one of the trusted parts guys on the forum, go to roverguy.com he is fast and cheap.

stay away from the parts stores they know nothing about these trucks. stick to this forum, we can help you and guide you to get the truck in great shape for as cheap as possible, because that is what we do.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah man, frustrations are easy to come by with these...heh heh but they are still sweet. And your man rating (which was probably already through the roof) goes even higher when you have one that is being held together by the very sinous fibers your own body is made of (mainly coming from your knuckles and such from working on it).

Re: the dealer...try yelp (look it up it's awesome)
Re: the parts...truly this forum is awesome take our word for it...
Re: auto parts stores: nothing except your brake pads and turn signal bulbs can be purchased there...WAIT...also the OBD II reader can be purchased there. That's where I got mine...you can read anything but safety related codes...AND ALWAYS POST CODES ON HERE (i.e. there is several faults that mean "MAF" but the reader doesn't see that...you just have to know it or know someone that does)
Re: psychological support...forum is good for that too...if you have thick skin
Other stuff: have you checked your front driveshaft recently? Guys was this still a problem in this truck? On mine, when it went I thought I had taken an RPG round...and lost the transimission in the process...save yourself the heartache and monitor it

Re: cupholders...hmm...I wouldn't pay that either. I bought another rover to get mine...

Old 10-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It takes a real desire to do it, if you are that frustrated with the Rover, then I would say go ahead and sell it and try something else. You probably don't really need a Discovery anyway.

It is a shame that there are more and more vehicles like KIA that offer a 100,000 mile warranty and terrific gas milage. And they are assembled in the USA even though it is Korean.

Or maybe one of the Mercedes if you want a really nice 4 wheel drive. Or a Porsche whatever they call them or VW Tourag. I do like that Volvo 4 wheeler, they are like a work of art in their assemblies.

Sell it fast.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:41 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cptshanman
Re: auto parts stores: nothing except your brake pads and turn signal bulbs can be purchased there...WAIT...also the OBD II reader can be purchased there.
Got to call you out on this one I've gotten my valley pan gasket & transmission filter/gasket kit there...

Old 10-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Got to call you out on this one I've gotten my valley pan gasket & transmission filter/gasket kit there...
I couldn't even get an impact socket that fit on one of the lugs from schucks or napa. By the way, what size are the lug nuts? I got a 27mm and beat it on every time....

Old 10-19-2010, 06:31 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IDAHO
I couldn't even get an impact socket that fit on one of the lugs from schucks or napa. By the way, what size are the lug nuts? I got a 27mm and beat it on every time....
Took me 2 AutoZone's to find one as well.....1 1/4" is what I bought along with a 25" breaker bar from Harbor Freight, and it works just dandy...I've heard 27mm will fit, but sucks to have to pound it on there every time and chew up your lugs.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Mudding
Default Lug nuts

With cap on them: 1 and 1/16
Without cap on them: 1 inch
Don't try to use the equipment in the truck...it'll bend. Save it for when your truck is 60 years old and Jay Leno is buying it for his collection (he'll want the original tool kit).

Yes I have a few without caps...

My wife NEARLY refuses to drive my truck...something about the blue rope by the toddler seat that is routed through the handle in the cargo compartment that pulls open the interior door handle to get the back door open...

Idaho, you mean your moon roofs both work????? I didn't hear you mention that...IF in fact yours still work you actually have a GEM of a truck and a definite RARE VEHICLE

Shannon

Old 10-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Drifting

Idaho, are you in Boise, or nearby? Treasure Valley Jags and Rovers are former certified techs from the evil local dealer. They reset and diag'ed my Amigos issue for 70 bucks, which included assessing a few other issues.

http://tvjagsandrovers.com/

Kyle @ 208-794-0210 is the rover guy...

Old 10-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by bradbenz
Idaho, are you in Boise, or nearby? Treasure Valley Jags and Rovers are former certified techs from the evil local dealer. They reset and diag'ed my Amigos issue for 70 bucks, which included assessing a few other issues.

http://tvjagsandrovers.com/

Kyle @ 208-794-0210 is the rover guy...
OH MY GOD...... and they are right down the road. Not sure how I have driven by it and not seen it, but I will certainly check them out to get the ABS code cleared. Thanks.

That guy at Lyle Pearson is a HUGE ***** HUH!!!! I left that place with murder on my mind.... He told me my ABS module needed to be replaced two days after my wife bought it(3 amigos showed up). When I checked this site and found the real story I was super mad.

Quick Reply: I'm in brake hell