Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm loving the Rover already!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 07:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
No trucks allowed?
There is a tree trimming truck in the Google Map image. lol
LOL... I want to get his license plate number and give him a ticket!
Sign at the beginning clearly states nothing over 4 tons permitted!
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...,11.53,,0,6.88

Old 01-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by photocrimes
Jealous of your non-saggy headliner lol
Oh, there is some sag starting here and there! But that is a project for another day!

Old 01-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
1. Wait for a break in traffic; time your entrance onto the freeway. You are driving a heavy truck with less than 200 HP.

2. See the second sentence in number 1. Unless there is a police car, fire truck, or ambulance behind you, with no other way to go up the road, accelerate as your vehicle is able to easily.
Trust me, I fully agree! I knew full well after years of research and driving them this truck is anything but athletic. With that said, something tells me you might not understand the NYC metro area traffic. On-ramps to interstates you can not legally stop on and wait for a break. You must keep moving and use the acceleration lane. Maybe you won't get a ticket for it, but you will get hit by the person behind you! And, you have maybe 30 yards of acceleration lane to get out into 75MPH 4 lane traffic.
I'm finding Google Maps to be way more useful than I thought on this forum
I take this on ramp often and was the one I spoke of. Trust me, it is more than an urge to merge... it is a matter of safety to get up to speed (and on an incline) quickly. The ramp is on the one to the right.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...03.02,,0,10.39

Old 01-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're big, you're red they will get the picture. I sold my turbo powered sports car for the Disco and I drive slow now. It takes a mental adjustment to change your habits when they have been that way for life. Try it. At times I can get up to 12 MPG driving at this loper pace. It pays off.
Sarcasm aside, I have REALLY slowed down, and it is an attitude adjustment. The first Land Rover I ever drove was a 64 right hand steer with a four speed manual. The guy that let me test drive was very gracious, and said, "Look, these are slow, so be gentle on the old girl, then she will take you anywhere you want to go."
I know this is a different vehicle entirely, however, that is the pedigree of these machines. They are beasts of labor, strong, robust, and agrarian in speed.
If you want to slow people behind you, throw on the rear fogs--they are often mistaken for brake lights. I sometime use them as a "back off" signal, and it works.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by bikingteacher
If you want to slow people behind you, throw on the rear fogs--they are often mistaken for brake lights. I sometime use them as a "back off" signal, and it works.
I've long used the rear fogs on all my other cars as the "don't tailgate" me lights. Great feature. Like a brake-check without the danger! The Rover ones seem brighter, but less in-your-face than my other cars due to the low nature.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:48 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote=Snafu / Disco Fries;222983
1. Merging onto Route 80 on an uphill climb around rush hour with rigs flying at 75 in the slow lane and no acceleration lane anymore due to snow.[/quote]
Get a steel rear bumper and merge at your leisure.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Bundu
Get a steel rear bumper and merge at your leisure.
A full steel cage around the back and I'm in!