Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm out of the game.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I bought a Nissan Quest new and it failed with in two miles of the dealer, not a drop of fluid in the tranny. Had a Sentra and Stanza, not a lot of problems other than old tranny after lots of miles. Owned a Montero Sport (293K) from new and a Isuzu Trooper (traded on minivan when mom-to-be could not climb in) and I-Mark. Have Kia (245K), Mercedes, have owned Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Audi, and a 1984 Honda CRX that could really hold the corners. It really doesn't matter what you buy, if you don't take care of it, it will fail early and often. I generally put 200K + on any vehicle.

If cars did not need repair, dealerships would be a lot smaller. In general they fail enough so that an entire business of spare parts, non-dealer service companies, and indy shops exists.

As for relaibility, the Cummins shop I use has a client that comes in with a Dodge pickup, with 800,000 miles on it. I guess his GF must be in Key West or something.

And for most vehicles there are sites like this one for guys to vent about their cars and trucks, the engineering goofs, and the general lack of customer service presented by the dealers.

Most metro area owners think their vehicle has a cakewalk short commute, but the oil never warms up, and they are doing "taxi cab" service that requires more maintenance. Police cars at a university I know get their oil changed every month not because of miles but just the hours of low speed and idling. You don't have to be a road warrior to tear up a vehicle, if anything long steady speed is easier than delivery stop and go.

I enjoy my D1 warts and all. Last week was the first time SWMBO had ever ridden in it (like 2 years plus). Now she wants one. I really bought for high school / college car for daughter.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:11 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Look at some of them for sale on craigslist.org.
They have gotten to 200k miles.
Your's will too. If you keep after it.
Sure, it will need head gaskets eventually.
It will need the transmission fluid replaced a few times..

We sold our D1 with nearly 170k miles and the guy who bought it seems to just love it.

I find I am getting to like the D2 also.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Ive owned a 96 Dodge Intrepid that went up in flames, a 02 Chevy Silverado 2500HD that gut stuck in everything and had more leaks than any Rover I've ever seen, a 88 Nissan Pathfinder that had more engine woes than the Carnival's Triumph, and finally my Discovery II.

So far in the last year I've thrown more at the Land Rover than my other 3 vehicles combined. She's been in several accidents that involved frame damage, climbed up 60 degree inclines that make me have a near heart attack, forged a few water crossings and seen air out in the desert.

I maintain my Land Rover myself with the help of the RAVE and this forum. I have never needed the help from a dealership aside from a friend plugging in the scanner for the 3 amigos.

I have to say this is the most impressive vehicle I've ever owned and seen for the price. It has tested my patience, my skill as a driver and mechanic and most importantly, my will. I trust this vehicle with my life when I push into the desert and the mountains, very often I am on my own and living out of the car for at least a few days on my trips and I wouldn't trust any other vehicle to get me there and home.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is funny how we have these same debates on the Mercedes SL class forum. Although everyone bitches about working on a 35+ year old car, most of us own more than one. I think it comes down to whether or not you have a passion for the vehicle or not. Who wants to spend time and money working on a Corolla or some other appliance vehicle? I've only owned my truck a month and driven less than 100 miles in it, because I am awaiting a new driveshaft, but it seems to have a soul and that is what I look for in a vehicle. I don't know if I will keep it forever like I will my 450SLC 5.0, but so far I love it, warts and all.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Savannah how did you like the Isuzu trooper? They always seemed like impressive vehicles to me. How does it compare to the Disco?

My dad has owned a 99 Nissan Quest for 13 years now. It looks rough as hell because it's literally not cared for at all but the engine still runs well. The damn thing hardly has oil in it sometimes and it doesn't complain. That ford v6 is a work horse. Never overheats either.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 03-03-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The Trooper was a daily driver for 90 mile commute, went all over the southeast and to DC on vacations, never got in the mud except at a conference in Orlando. So as a dual income no kids (DINK) yuppie vehicle it was fine. GM engine. Once kid on the way, traded for minivan.

But I've owned 69 Doge Dart, 72 Dodge Dart, 72 Dodge Charger, 75 D100 pickup, Caravan, 84 Honda CRX, Isuszu IMark, Trooper, Ford Pinto, F250, Windstar, Taurus wagon, Audi 5000, Nissan Quest, Stanza, Sentra, Kia Sedona, Mercedes 92 300TE, 93 300 Cabrio, and Land Rover D1. Plus had company vehicles assigned for drive home, mostly Fords. One company leased 19 Expeditions one day, I got a blue one. Also handle small fleet of tired recycled vehicles at a university for research field work. All these vehicles needed tires, brakes, fluid changes, etc. None will last forever. All have plus and minus.

I think of all small vehicles as being a conveyance with four tires. People cling to various brands of oil, filter, tires, speakers, wheels, roof racks, lights, wax, spark plugs, snake oil, etc. Extending maintenance intervals usually produces unwanted results, more frequent intervals generally help things. Part of any preventative maintenace program is inspection and examination, look for other things that don't look right. If you skip the weekly under hood check (note that the D1 owner manual says check oil every 250 miles when engine is hot. It also says that under very arduous conditions oil may have to be changed daily.) you depend only on your ears (noisy engine) and the oil pressure light and almost worthless temperature gauge.

Forums like these give us an opportunity to whine about mistakes, crow about triumphs, and in a way keep up with the Jones across the web. Somewhere some bloke has bigger tires, a bigger winch, or gets 1/4 mpg better than you do.

I'm glad that the truck cranks, runs, gets to the destination and returns. There are those who obsess about everything, and the 12-24 month lease is made for you. Or perhaps a detailing kit and a toothbrush.

There is room for all of us on the forum.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-03-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:26 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
see you in a few months.
well DAMN...

I got suckered again.. After going for a 2008 Range Rover Sport I found an 01 Range rover that was totaled. I brought it home and began the work

Issues:
-Hood [ found on for 265$ shipped]
-bumper [ I can straighten this one out for now] was planning on building a steel one anyways
-Passenger Headlight [needs replacing]
-exterior coolant leak

other than that its extremely clean, no abs or check engine lights..

Old 03-31-2013, 06:59 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Kind of like an addiction, isn't it? I'm always on the lookout for another "deal" on a Rover. Love my D2. 2 1/2 years since doing the HG and recently completed a 1,300 mile trip. Contemplating a Freelander I saw but I think there wouldn't be any fun in that project. Probably just torture, frustration, and an empty wallet.