Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012 | 09:49 PM
|
Drifting
Default I'm in trouble

I'm stuck at mile 200 of a 400 mile trip. The car started running very rough up a hill, and hasn't run right since. It would run smoothly if I upped the rpm from 2k to around 2.6k or more.

I went to a shop, the only one I could find that would check it out, and was told cylinder 8 is not working, probably due to the exhaust valve. I did see the spark plug and it was very oily. Also, they put in a camera and the inside looked kind of "cruddy" according to the mechanic.

So, bottom line, they say they need over a week and at least 3k to fix it. Is there any way this is a less expensive problem? Is there anything I can check myself that could fix the problem?

I'm stuck in a hotel a long ways from home, i could really use some advice.

Marc

My car is a 2004, but only has 50k miles, I've had it about two years.

Last edited by New2LR; 10-03-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2012 | 11:01 PM
Banned

Please tell us your location and if your lucky you will be close to one of us that is willing to lend a helping hand? There could be lots of reasons why a cylinder can have issues some may turn 3k at a shop some maybe a easy fix. We would also need any codes that may be thrown.

Old 10-04-2012 | 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

I would not want to part with $3K without a lot more information. You could have something as simple as a bad spark plug wire, all the way to a head gasket problem.

Old 10-04-2012 | 06:15 AM
Baja

they cant tell you what is wrong but they want 3k and a week to fix it? that alone should tll you to walk away.
Have them put a new plug and wire on it and get it to a Independent LR mechanic, to be proper inspected.

also you dont say were you are so it is kind of hard for members to point you to a good shop. if you list your location someone may know a shop near you or on your way.

Last edited by drowssap; 10-04-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-04-2012 | 06:32 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by drowssap
they cant tell you what is wrong but they want 3k and a week to fix it? that alone should tll you to walk away.
My thoughts exactly.

Any symptoms prior? Was any maintenance performed before you left for the trip?

Old 10-04-2012 | 09:41 AM
|
Drifting

In in Kelowna, B.C. I started having trouble on 97c, and made it to Merritt, B.C. where nobody was able to help me for a couple of days. I called Land Rover and they sent me to the shop in Kelowna, it's where the local Land Rover dealer has its work done.

There don't seem to be many Land Rover dealers in Canada. I'm from Spokane, WA.

One of my questions would be how I'm getting back to Spokane, can I drive it that far without making things worse?

Thank you very much for your replies! And no, i'm not having it fixed for that kind of money without knowing for sure what the problem is. Not to mention I don't have enough time off to have it done here.

Old 10-04-2012 | 09:45 AM
|
Drifting

They said the initial codes said something was wrong with cylinders one and eight. After taking out the plugs and looking at them they said one looked normal.

I just had the oil changed and noticed there is half a quart too much oil in the car, can that have caused anything? It's never been a problem in other cars I've owned.

Old 10-04-2012 | 09:54 AM
Administrator

You need to stop what you are doing and realize some one is trying hard to get into your wallet.
Call them back, don't have them do anything, all you want are the actual fault code numbers, that all, then get back to us with them and consider sending me your number so we can talk about what is going on.

Old 10-04-2012 | 10:00 AM
|
Drifting

I took the vehicle with me again yesterday after they were finished. They did not give me the codes, only told me what they meant. I'll call around, maybe somebody else can give me the codes.

Can I buy a machine that will read them for me? If so, where?

Old 10-04-2012 | 10:11 AM
Administrator

Most part stores sell engine scanners, do get the numbers, it can make the difference between a couple under dollars and your $3000 estimate.

Quick Reply: I'm in trouble