Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012 | 01:45 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
Obviously you don't know anything about rovers... don't ever
Tell anyone on this forum to try to reset any codes by disconnecting their battery again. If you choose to go that route with your own stuff whatever but don't offer it here as good advice.
Wow. Good thing I never tried with mine then. It's worked on Toyota's and Lexus' that I've done it to. To the original poster, disregard my advice and I suppose a new plug and wire are the first step.

Old 10-04-2012 | 02:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ashtray
Wow. Good thing I never tried with mine then. It's worked on Toyota's and Lexus' that I've done it to. To the original poster, disregard my advice and I suppose a new plug and wire are the first step.

Listen ashtray, disconnecting your battery can cause lots of issues just to start with theft mode where the head unit deprograms from the truck and now you no longer have a radio to listen to anymore. Each truck has a different code that is needed to reprogram the head unit from theft mode guess where you get that from? DEALERSHIP yes and this is one of the minor problems that can happen. So buddy if your not 100% sure your advice is spot on please just lay back and continue to learn.

Old 10-04-2012 | 02:16 PM
Pro Wrench

I have cleared codes by disconnecting the battery in my P38. Actually, by killing the battery. I had an evap code pop up when my inspection was due. I replaced the gas cap but it didn't fix the code. I was planning to take it to the inspection station with the light on to get a rejection sticker so I could drive it until I got around to fixing it. When I got up in the morning, the battery was dead from an interior light being left on. I jumped it and the found the light on the dash was out. I drove 1 mile to the shop and passed the inspection. I figured there would not be enough data stored in the computer to pass, but it worked. The evap code turned out to be the purge valve which I fixed by blasting it out with carb cleaner. If you get your codes read at an auto parts store, they usually won't clear them for you. If you fix the problem and need to clear the code but don't own a scanner, how else would you do it? If you have a CEL on and try to clear the codes without knowing what is wrong, that is a bad plan but clearing a code by disconnecting the battery does work.

Last edited by 04duxlr; 10-04-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2012 | 02:20 PM
Banned

You are correct they are no longer allowed to clear you codes but you are allowed to push enter at that point in time most of them will now take your ID and hand you the scanner. I am not saying this will happen every time but it is possible and do you want to be the one to blame for telling someone else to do this?

Old 10-04-2012 | 02:22 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
Listen ashtray, disconnecting your battery can cause lots of issues just to start with theft mode where the head unit deprograms from the truck and now you no longer have a radio to listen to anymore. Each truck has a different code that is needed to reprogram the head unit from theft mode guess where you get that from? DEALERSHIP yes and this is one of the minor problems that can happen. So buddy if your not 100% sure your advice is spot on please just lay back and continue to learn.
Whenever I do major work on the elctrical system, I disconnect the battery. I've done it for installing the winch, cleaning the battery terminals, and replacing the battery among other things. If you go by RAVE, the first step for practically every procedure is to disconnect the battery. If you don't know your radio code and you need a battery, you're screwed also.

Old 10-04-2012 | 03:16 PM

the radio has an internal battery that will eventually fail and when you disconnect the car battery the radio battery can hold it's place. once the radio battery dies and you disconnect the car battery you will need the code every time. like you said you must disconnect the car battery before doing lots of different jobs on these or any truck or car.

Old 10-04-2012 | 05:14 PM
|
Drifting

Quick update

Thank you all for your replies, and special thanks to lr2001Silver who really went out of his way to help me out.

I haven't been through water recently, so that's not an issue.

I found a very helpful indi shop that checked the wire and had a spark, and who changed the plug. After changing the plug they got a new code indicating multiple cylinder misfire. They checked my plug again and it was wet. They said that is no surprise with a multiple cylinder misfire and are continuing with their diagnostics.

The oil is nice and clear, not milky at all.

I'm glad I didn't change the wire myself. After I finally found where I believe the wire plugs into behind the motor, I'm sure my next post would have been titled: "How do I recover my land rover after driving it into the lake in a fit or rage"

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted, thanks again for your input.

Old 10-11-2012 | 09:59 PM
|
Drifting
Default Update- Bad News

Well,

I had the vehicle at two shops, and both found the same problem, no compression on the 8th cylinder. Both shops told me it would require a rebuild.

I never told the second shop what the first guys found, and watched them when they checked compression, and the results were the same.

I have it back home, which was a real pain since I was told I could cause more damage if I drive it.

I'll make a separate post with some questions.

Marc

Old 10-11-2012 | 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

If plug is wet with coolant that is just a head gasket, not a rebuild. You can add dye to the coolant and it will show up as green flecks on the spark plugs. Rear cylinders more prone to leaks than 3-4-5-6.

Old 10-13-2012 | 12:56 AM
1st Gear

Some parts stores will read the codes for you...usually an orielly's or auto zone. They read my codes on my DII.