Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inconsistent Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inconsistent Oil Consumption

Happy New Year to all!

I have an interesting issue with my 04 Disco II with 70K. My Mom has had a recent health issue which has required me to make a bunch of trips from NJ to Virginia, about 250 miles each way. Prior to this usage the Disco was mostly an around town truck with an occasional highway run of less than 100 miles. The truck used practically no oil between changes.

Prior to the trips beginning I did an O/C, new coils, wires and plugs.

Most of the runs I noticed a small amount of usage, maybe an eighth of a quart, one trip in particular though made me pay more attention, I used almost 3/4 of a quart. The unusual thing about this trip though was I was moving fast, just under 80 and in a very high wind, later I also found I was 10lbs low on a rear tire.

Last night I returned from what was hopefully the last health required trip, I made sure I stayed under 70, generally right at 65 and kept the rpm under 2500. I just checked the oil and, no usage at all!

Whenever I check the oil its after sitting overnight and on a level surface so the level is accurate.

Anyone with a lot of highway experience ever have a similar issue? I'm inclined to chalk it up to the increased load on the motor and the stellar aerodynamics of the Disco at speed, but it seems a small increase in rpms is responsible for more than I thought it would. Thanks.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Have you crawled under the truck to look for leaks, what brand and weight oil do you use and when do you check your oil level, hot or cold?
Have you cleaned out the oil separator located in the PCV hose on the passengers side v/c?

Old 01-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Have you crawled under the truck to look for leaks, what brand and weight oil do you use and when do you check your oil level, hot or cold?
Have you cleaned out the oil separator located in the PCV hose on the passengers side v/c?
Thanks,

No leaks, I checked for those, the oil is Castrol 10W30 and the oil was always cold when checked.

I haven't checked the separator though, approx where is it or what does it look like?

Old 01-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9205B.cfm

See that little piece next to the hoses?
That is your oil separator, pull it out of the valve cover and clean it with carb cleaner, let it dry and then put it back.
I would just chalk it up to the extra load on the engine.
I used 2 quarts on a 500 mile trip over Christmas vacation, this is with a extra 1,500lbs in/ontop (rooftop carrier in the shape of a wall) of the truck and highway speeds of 65mph.
Normally my truck uses maybe 1 quart between oil changes.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9205B.cfm

See that little piece next to the hoses?
That is your oil separator, pull it out of the valve cover and clean it with carb cleaner, let it dry and then put it back.
I would just chalk it up to the extra load on the engine.
I used 2 quarts on a 500 mile trip over Christmas vacation, this is with a extra 1,500lbs in/ontop (rooftop carrier in the shape of a wall) of the truck and highway speeds of 65mph.
Normally my truck uses maybe 1 quart between oil changes.

LOL, no wonder I was scratching my head looking under the hood for it, they hid it! Thanks

Old 01-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You will need to use needle nose pliers to pull it out, becareful, the tip can break off and then you will never get it out.
The only reason to ever replace it is if it is missing or broken.
Just clean it twice a year and replace the hoses as needed.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Mudding

My 03 uses about 1 qt of oil between oil changes, I use Rotella 15w/40 and change every 5k miles. The truck is driven on freeway most of time averaging 70-80 mph.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Drifting

OK, update time.

I just got back for Virginia once again, and the oil dropped 1/2 qt in 260 miles. The weather has been below freezing for a while and today was the first time it was decent enough to spend some time under the hood. The oil separator is good but thru research on here and another forum I've come across the old intake gasket issue, which raised some alarm bells.

Before this oil issue I had the coils replaced and used a shop instead of myself, again due to time and weather. The invoice does have a 59.00 charge for the gasket but was it installed properly. Is there any way I can check this in the driveway? Does the old carb cleaner around the base, looking for a RPM change work here as it does with an old fashoned carb vacuum leak?

FWIW I did speak with the shop and they asked if I was leaking, which I'm not, when you have this issue does the oil get sucked into the intake or does it leak out of the motor? Thanks!

Old 01-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Sounds like you may either have the old gasket or the new one is leaking, need to pull the intake and see.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Drifting

Thats what I was suspecting, Thanks