Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increase milage 35%??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Increase milage 35%??

I'm really really getting tired of reading stuff like if you wanted good milleage you should have gotten a Honda Civic or any other little POS.

When I bought my Disco, I knew I wasn't buyinga diesel Jetta or anything good on gas. What I didn't know, was that I was buying on of, if not THE worst S.U.V as far as fuel consumption goes. Heck, I have friends with huge Nissan Armada, Lincoln Navigators and Hummer H2s, which are 1 1/2 time the size of my Disco, and they all without exception, gwet better milleage than a Disco. And I'm easy on the gas. The Guy with the Armada, likes to race from light to light !!!!! Heck, even my friend who has a construction company and drives a Ford excursion gets about the same thing as me, but he has a loaded trailer attached to his truck 5 days a week.

So forget about feeding me with the off road ability of the Rover compared to the others.. At the pump, I don't care if the disco is built to climb mount Everest. Completely out of subject.

I keep the disco cause I love it, and the fact that for the price I paid, I got a good truck that doesn't even cost me 1/5th in gas and insurance per month,what those friends are payingfor their lease alone.

So for the love of god, next time someoneposts about trying to save on gas, if you don't have a legitimate trick or intelligent advice, PASSON and go to another post.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darover,

I agree with you about posts thatcome acrosslecturing or implying that people have made uneducated purchase decisions.

That said, I think there are probablypeople who're as tired of the "gas mileage sucks" posts as you are of the "should have bought a Honda" posts. Although I'm all for reading about people's tricks and suggestions, I do think that, short of some scientific breakthrough, efforts to drastically improve mileage is a case of polishing crap.....so to speak.A couple of MPG's here or a percentage there is a fool's gameon these trucks. At the end of the day, the mileage just isn't that good.

It's a little bit like looking for more horsepower......even if youpull out another10-15%, you're still way off of what the competition is producing from their bone-stock motors.

So, I'm not defending people who post simply to rip on someone, but I can kind of uderstand the "it is what it is" mentality.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Alber Einstein never said "it is what it is."

Some of us choose to think outside the box, and do our homework: How many of you knew that Toluene was the main ingredient in gasoline?

We play with our Discos just like we would play with a Civic, if we had one. Hell, I put Toluene in my motorcycle to see what it would do (exhaust smelled like crap...seriously, I thought I shat myself).

If you can add to the discussion, do so, otherwise just read, please.

And I've got two friends with H2'swho can't get over 10 MPG - I get 14 in the Disco.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Drifting

Nothingbeats a good does of selfrightiousness on monday morning to start off a week right. I guess endless discussions about the relative values of brands and grades of motor oils are considered worth having but we should stay away from questions about other petroleum products or we'll be labeled whining cheap-skates.

Performance is performance, if I wanted ahonda I would've gotten one, that doesn't mean I shouldn't explore other technologies and innovations.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:15 PM
Three Wheeling

Had Albert Einstein taken on the menial task of trying to improve upon Land Rover’s fuel consumption or horsepower, I expect that he might have, in fact, said “it is what it is†and proceeded to build a completely different motor.

To say that anyone is “thinking outside the box†or “doing their homework†by putting the equivalent of octane boost or other additives in Discovery engine is the equivalent of saying that you’re thinking outside the box by hooking up analog cable to a 1974, 13-channel Zenith color TV. When it comes to the Disco engine, most people in the business (including the one who originally tooled it) started thinking outside the box about 40-years ago. Toyota/Lexus is building 400+ hp hybrids and we’re calling attempts to gain a couple of MPG’s out of a Disco thinking outside the box?

There’s nothing wrong with loving these trucks while accepting the fact that they’re primitive, lousy on gas, low on power, etc.. Harley’s are primitive in design and technology (minus the V-rod) but that’s part of the experience of riding/owning one. If you ever heard someone complaining that their Harley was too loud, vibrated too much or was too heavy, you’d tell them to buy Yamaha or BMW. It’s the same argument that people here are making when someone wants their LR to be something that it’s not.

Of course it gets bad mileage, it’s a 188 hp, 1960’s V8 pushing a tank around. Can you improve it via a few things here and there? Sure. Is the improvement worth the effort at the end of the day? It depends on the results and how the owner places value on their time and money. Will it improve it enough to satisfy people who’re comparing it to other vehicles? Probably not.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Rock Crawling

None of my playing with Toluene was for gas mileage - it was to experiment with how engines run on the stuff, what it does to them.

Thinking outside the box would be coming up with your own fuel additives to accomplish more than off the shelf products offer.

Doing your homework is spending many hours researching before you pour crap in your gas tank.

Am I a cheap skate - yes.
Did I know what I was getting into with my LR - yes.
Will I still experiment with it - yes, and if God forbid, it gets better gas mileage, what will we do next?

And my '03 Disco has more than 188 HP.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You know what, I think that you guys seriously make sense when you elaborate on a stupid answer instead of just being straight out rude.

If people stop posting about tire size,lift, leaks, noises, m.p.g,or get flamed when they do and told to use the search engine.......We might as well never come here again cause this forum would come to a halt. I think it's by allowing people to ask and answer, that we might come up with real solutions tosome problems. Using the search engine is good, but things and opinions change with experience. What I might have considered completely bad a few months ago, could have proven me wrong and change my mind.

It's by allowing subjects to be brought up again and again, that ideas are chared. If questions are pissing you off buy their repetitiveness, just don't bother and move on. Let the ones interested discuss the subject.

Sorry if I came a little strong this morning, I guess that snow on April 16th will do that to me everytime[:@]

Happy Rovering,

Cheers,

Darover

Old 04-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm with you 100% on that. I think that these debates and rants are the best part about forums like this (a lot more fun than the tire-size questions). Others must feel the same way if you look at the number ofreplies on this string.

The best way to get the most out of someone's opinion is to have them make an argument for it. Whether you changed someone's mind or visa versa, the worst case scenario is that you walk away with a more well-rounded outlook.

Hopefully, people don't take any of it personally.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:47 PM

Personally,I think you're all crazy....maybe thats why I end up here so much!

Old 04-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Rock Crawling

I got your crazy right here! (raises hand)

(now waiving hand furiously in a desparate attempt for attention)

Quick Reply: Increase milage 35%??