Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Injector 0-ring question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Injector 0-ring question

03D2 .How do you change the o-rings on the injectors? My head gasket set come with 8 o-rings with the flat sides but, not 8 round sided. Are these supposed to go at the top of the injectors. I have pulled the injectors out of the intake, still connected to the fual rail and the o-rings at the bottom are round sided and not flat sided. I tried pulling the injectors out of the fuel rail but they are stuck and I don't want to break them. I'm wondering how to get the o-rings off over the small plastic disc at the bottom without breaking the disk. I may just put it all back together without changing those. I'd hate to screw up and break an injector. Anybody change those when you are doing head gaskets? or leave them alone? I figure they came with the set for a reason.
thanks for all the help guys!

Last edited by RicketyTick; 06-06-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

They should stretch over the disc without much effort. Those plastic pieces are fragile though.

The flat o-rings aren't for the bosch engine.

I'm pretty sure there are metal clips holding the injectors into the fuel rail.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by jafir
They should stretch over the disc without much effort. Those plastic pieces are fragile though.

The flat o-rings aren't for the bosch engine.

I'm pretty sure there are metal clips holding the injectors into the fuel rail.
Hey thanks, yea I removed the metal clips and and they still don't want to turn loose. I could put some WD40 in there to see if that helps but feel like I may need to just leave them alone. I have a bosch engine and was thinking since the bottom o-rings were round sided then the top ones must be flat sided. Maybe I'll put a little Vaseline on the bottom ones and just slide them back in there and let it ride. I'm bad about breaking stuff and those suckers are stuck.
thanks

Old 06-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't know how much time you have for this project, but I would take them out and clean and rebuild them or send them out to be done. If you send them out they can be done for about $20 an injector and they will be like brand new. Should have them back in about a week.

I purchased a used set with fuel rail off ebay and am in the process of cleaning, testing and rebuilding them. You can get the rebuild kits of ebay for $25.00
Land Rover Discovery II Range Rover 4 6L 4 0L Fuel Injector Service Repair Kit | eBay

Old 06-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by RicketyTick
Hey thanks, yea I removed the metal clips and and they still don't want to turn loose. I could put some WD40 in there to see if that helps but feel like I may need to just leave them alone. I have a bosch engine and was thinking since the bottom o-rings were round sided then the top ones must be flat sided. Maybe I'll put a little Vaseline on the bottom ones and just slide them back in there and let it ride. I'm bad about breaking stuff and those suckers are stuck.
thanks
I'd replace the o-rings personally. They is a chance they'll cause a vacuum leak and no sense in doing the job over again.

Also, as Ralphobell said, rebuilding them might not be a bad idea. When I had my 1999 D2 apart, I sent the injectors to a shop in town and I think for $18 each they sonically cleaned them and gave me new o-ring. They SHOULD have replaced those plastic parts and the screen, but he said he didn't have them in his kit. He said after the cleaning they flowed much better.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ralphobell
I don't know how much time you have for this project, but I would take them out and clean and rebuild them or send them out to be done. If you send them out they can be done for about $20 an injector and they will be like brand new. Should have them back in about a week.

I purchased a used set with fuel rail off ebay and am in the process of cleaning, testing and rebuilding them. You can get the rebuild kits of ebay for $25.00
Land Rover Discovery II Range Rover 4 6L 4 0L Fuel Injector Service Repair Kit | eBay
Wow, I don't have that much time as my wife is on my butt to get the truck going. She doesn't like riding in my work van. Can't I just buy the kit and do it myself? Looks like just a strainer or atomizer and a couple o-rings. I've just never pulled any out and not sure how brittle they are so, afraid to put much force on them. If they are like all the other plastic on LR they will break if you look at them crooked.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes you can do it yourself. There are youtube videos all over the place on DIY rebuilds and cleaning. You still need the kit. Where are you located? You might have a local shop that can do it. By the time you order the parts and get them you could have sent them out to have it done. Other option is to purchase a rebuilt set off ebay. Probably around $180+.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

they get brittle....I broke one and left the rest in their place. figure I'd let the truck tell me when I need to sort that out, rather than the other way around.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dusty1
they get brittle....I broke one and left the rest in their place. figure I'd let the truck tell me when I need to sort that out, rather than the other way around.
Thanks Dusty, they do look brittle and until I have a spare set I don't think I'll try to pull them apart anymore. No guarantee it will even run when I'm finished with the head gaskets so, hate to spend more money on injector rebuilds.I was hoping I could just pop them out and put on o-rings but, I see that is not going to happen. Plus I don't know for sure if these are even the right o-rings (flat sides) for this model.
I did the oil pump gears,timing set, gaskets, crank sensor, and all o-rings while I was in there and probably needed cam, cam bearings, lifters ,rocker arm rebuilds, main bearings, rod bearings and more with 150K. Gotta draw the line somewhere and see if it will hold up after the head gaskets.