Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inline thermostat fail!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017 | 01:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
I've had the brittpart 180 factory thermostat get up to 215 in 96 degree and 100 percent humidity in central Alabama. That's why I went to the inline mod. ...
The inline thermostat will not cool the engine better than the original one if the reason for previous high temperature was a clogged radiator you did not diagnose or address.
A new inline thermostat cannot clean the radiator blockage.
215 degrees is not a scary temperature for a 96 ambient, but we all like better under 200.

Have you compared with full flow (no thermostat at all by placing a section of conduit pipe) -or simply remove the thermostat from its inline housing- instead ? Who cares about having a thermostat in July ?
If cooling does not improve on full flow; do not blame the inline.

My way----> http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...Dk1MQ==/?ref=1

Last edited by Externet; 07-24-2017 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 07-24-2017 | 01:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

200 degrees in 100+ ambient Temps is FINE, probably as optimal as you will ever see!

The only reports from online mods I have ever seen have been at 80* ambient. I've never seen a single person report back with 100+ ambient Temps on their inline mod.

Every time I do a search, or ask someone directly, Noone has an answer for their inline mod temps in hot weather. In cold weather, they are the same as my Temps with a factory 180 system. I bet you were expecting crazy low Temps because that's what every inline mod thread has reported in low ambient Temps.

If 200 degrees is the highest you see in those ambient Temps, I would say you've achieved max efficiency for a tiny *** radiator and antiquated v8. Bleed it one more time, keep an eye on your Temps, and enjoy.

Old 07-24-2017 | 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
200 degrees in 100+ ambient Temps is FINE, probably as optimal as you will ever see!

The only reports from online mods I have ever seen have been at 80* ambient. I've never seen a single person report back with 100+ ambient Temps on their inline mod.

Every time I do a search, or ask someone directly, Noone has an answer for their inline mod temps in hot weather. In cold weather, they are the same as my Temps with a factory 180 system. I bet you were expecting crazy low Temps because that's what every inline mod thread has reported in low ambient Temps.

If 200 degrees is the highest you see in those ambient Temps, I would say you've achieved max efficiency for a tiny *** radiator and antiquated v8. Bleed it one more time, keep an eye on your Temps, and enjoy.
Yep after reading the same inline threads & not seeing any South Texas results I never took the plunge for the inline mod & just went with 180F OEM thermostats (NEVER a Motorad unit....). Then I did countless fan clutch combo's with different fan blades, and as King mentioned the end result is our radiators are small and once it's maximum cooling efficiency is met be it ambient temps, or speeds over 65MPH, the temps are going to rise as you've maxed out what the system can handle.

At speeds under 65MPH sure 200F is possible, but above that she's gonna climb up into the 205+ mark.

I'm still working on my 03-04 Grill Mod, and the only thing I can see fixing our issue is a larger radiator with more rows or getting more air into the radiator aka Saudi Grill type setup.

All that oh I run 180F all day long in Canada with my inline mod BS is great, but it's not apples to apples. I just got to compare the two setups side by side & I wasn't impressed vs just running the 180F LR OEM thermostat.

Last edited by Best4x4; 07-24-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-24-2017 | 02:18 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
I've had the brittpart 180 factory thermostat get up to 215 in 96 degree and 100 percent humidity in central Alabama. That's why I went to the inline mod. Alex, you say seal the bleed hole on the thermostat, is that correct and if so may I as why?
Sorry, not in the thermostat. The gaping hole in the shroud that you cut out for the thermostat housing. That's a massive gap as far as shroud efficiency is concerned. I'd tape it up with gaff tape or something. Gaff is really good for high heat. It's what I use to patch my mechanics gloves I weld with and does really well.

Old 07-24-2017 | 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

First thing I do whenever I get a thermostat of any kind is verify it's temp by the stamp on it. If it doesn't have one I return it for another brand that does. It's usually stamped on the center section of the thermostat in C*

Old 07-24-2017 | 02:22 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Yep after reading the same inline threads & not seeing any South Texas results I never took the plunge for the inline mod & just went with 180F OEM thermostats (NEVER a Motorad unit....). Then I did countless fan clutch combo's with different fan blades, and as King mentioned the end result is our radiators are small and one past it's maximum cooling efficiency is met be it ambient temps, or speeds over 65MPH, the temps are going to rise as you've maxed out what the system can handle.

At speeds under 65MPH sure 200F is possible, but above that she's gonna climb up into the 205+ mark.

I'm still working on my 03-04 Grill Mod, and the only thing I can see fixing our issue is a larger radiator with more rows or getting more air into the radiator aka Saudi Grill type setup.

All that oh I run 180F all day long in Canada with my inline mode is great, but it's not apples to apples. I just got to compare the two setups side by side & I wasn't impressed vs just running the 180F LR OEM thermostat.
This is pretty much correct. I saw a tiny difference with a 180 motors thermostat when I made a mesh grill for better flow. Whenever I finish destroying my radiator beyond repair I'm also going to be bumping it up to a late model silverado radiator for better cooling, though I've not had any issue with the inline and stock rad yet. I've not run her on the highway on a hot day (no tags), but I've used it to putter around (under 20mph) with 95* weather and its been perfect.

Old 07-24-2017 | 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Alex_M
This is pretty much correct. I saw a tiny difference with a 180 motors thermostat when I made a mesh grill for better flow. Whenever I finish destroying my radiator beyond repair I'm also going to be bumping it up to a late model silverado radiator for better cooling, though I've not had any issue with the inline and stock rad yet. I've not run her on the highway on a hot day (no tags), but I've used it to putter around (under 20mph) with 95* weather and its been perfect.
Not to mention all of my D2's are modified for off roading with skid plates, steel bumpers, and a winch which doesn't help airflow or the extra weight it's hauling around.

Old 07-24-2017 | 03:40 PM
Mudding

I run my inline mod'd D2 in 100 degree temperature all the time. Driving to Tahoe mountains on the freeway doing 70 mph average I am keeping it to 190-194, once I start the climbs it will go to 204 and stay there solid during heavy uphills on the freeway. I once saw it pop to 206 but it was for a very quick moment. That is heavy on the pedal dropped in 3rd struggling to keep up with my fellow club members up hill. Once the grade gets flat I will drop back down to low 190's, if Im coasting downhill it will get to 175-183.

Wheeling on low, cdl and up hill in first my D2 will stay at 192-194 in 90 degree weather. Once I get up in elevation the temps drop so I'm never really wheeling in 100s.

Everyday summer driving, My temps range from 175-181 in Bay Area weather. Thats usually about 60s morning with 80s afternoon. I notice my regular temps don't really start to be affected until I get upwards of 85 degree.

Oh that also includes running my AC the whole time. I even wheel with the AC, and leave it on while the car idles and I'm spotting someone. My favorite part about my D2 are its comforts while wheeling!

Old 07-24-2017 | 03:59 PM
|
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Externet
The inline thermostat will not cool the engine better than the original one if the reason for previous high temperature was a clogged radiator you did not diagnose or address.
A new inline thermostat cannot clean the radiator blockage.
215 degrees is not a scary temperature for a 96 ambient, but we all like better under 200.

Have you compared with full flow (no thermostat at all by placing a section of conduit pipe) -or simply remove the thermostat from its inline housing- instead ? Who cares about having a thermostat in July ?
If cooling does not improve on full flow; do not blame the inline.

My way----> Photobucket
cant see the pic but post it if u can the regular way

Old 07-24-2017 | 04:00 PM
|
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Sorry, not in the thermostat. The gaping hole in the shroud that you cut out for the thermostat housing. That's a massive gap as far as shroud efficiency is concerned. I'd tape it up with gaff tape or something. Gaff is really good for high heat. It's what I use to patch my mechanics gloves I weld with and does really well.
the whole was there already for the factory bleed spot

Quick Reply: Inline thermostat fail!!!