Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inline Thermostat mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 08:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Inline Thermostat mod

Engine temps got too high when towing a small trailer last week. It was only a 5x8 enclosed and well under the max tow weight. Speed was kept around 65 on the highway and at 0 miles into the trip and my highest reading was 205. Too high for me so we turned back and redid our load plan.

I am thinking of going to the inline thermostat mod and run a conventional 160 degree thermostat and retry What I'm looking for in this thread is a comprehensive bill of materials for doing the mod. I've read a bunch of threads and seen several pictures but there really hasn't been a step by step using which part.

For the housing I'm looking at using either the Jegs Housing (p/n 53260)or the Meziere Inline housing (p/n WN0072) . What I am missing are good part numbers for the hoses and the routing of the hoses down below where the old T/S will be removed.

I know most all are custom builds so I'm sure there'll be some trial and error. I just don't want to waste money buying an cutting hoses that don't fit

Old 07-12-2020, 08:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

For the top you can use the stock hose and just cut an inch and a half section out so you can fit the thermostat housing. Closer to the engine is better.

I would recommend a new radiator at the same time if yours has not been replaced.

I would recommend against a 160 thermostat. I would not go lower than a 180. The ECU will constantly be making the engine run rich at 160 because it will think it is still during the warm up cycle. A 160 thermostat will also not bring down your peak temp any more than a 180 will.

I have used both the Mez housing and the Keys housing. I like the look of the Mez housing, but I like using the Jegs housing better. I'd go Jegs.

Here is a link to the cooling system I did. Unfortunately it is very difficult to retain AC with this method. I removed it on all three I have done. You would, again, be best served with a new factory rad if you want to retain your AC. Most do. What you can gain from this is the lower hose routing. You will need a hose that I listed and an aluminum tee.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/ultimate-cooling-system%3B-complete-system-upgrade-87611/

Old 07-12-2020, 09:07 AM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Why go through the trouble of getting materials. We currently have a member that is selling this kit

Old 07-12-2020, 09:13 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Why go through the trouble of getting materials. We currently have a member that is selling this kit

Who' s that?

Old 07-12-2020, 10:45 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

Extinct is the one who has put together a kit. Works really well.

Old 07-12-2020, 02:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Kit uses all factory hoses, so nothing custom. You can use any thermostat you want, 99-02 will throw a code if you use one less than 170, 03-04 with throw a code if you use less than 180. Send me your email and I can send you complete instructions in a PDF. Even if you don't use my kit, I still highly recommend the inline thermostat mod.

The following 5 users liked this post by Extinct:
CollieRover (07-12-2020), hajamac (05-28-2021), jastutte (07-13-2020), mollusc (07-13-2020), oilrag (01-19-2021)
Old 07-12-2020, 05:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 65 Posts

I currently have excellent temps with the OE 180 thermostat, but I can see how the inline would flow better and makes it way easier if you have a need to replace a thermostat in a pinch.

@Extinct , does the inline mod drop temps significantly over the OEM 180 if everything else is working properly in the cooling system? From what I have read it seems like the coolant is able to flow better with the inline mod. Also you can use an off the shelf thermostat. Are there any other benefits I am missing?

Max temp I ever see is 197, runs 185-194 99% of the time. I am not interested in a kit right now, but when I eventually need to service the cooling system again I would like to more heavily consider the inline modification.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:53 PM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by arains44
I currently have excellent temps with the OE 180 thermostat, but I can see how the inline would flow better and makes it way easier if you have a need to replace a thermostat in a pinch.

@Extinct , does the inline mod drop temps significantly over the OEM 180 if everything else is working properly in the cooling system? From what I have read it seems like the coolant is able to flow better with the inline mod. Also you can use an off the shelf thermostat. Are there any other benefits I am missing?

Max temp I ever see is 197, runs 185-194 99% of the time. I am not interested in a kit right now, but when I eventually need to service the cooling system again I would like to more heavily consider the inline modification.
I have the LR grey thermostat and see the same temps as you do in my 03. When I replaced the white one the plastic body was failing. I'm thinking inline mod is next to get an other piece of plastic out of the loop.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

It does seem to hold the temperatures more consistently around 185 with less variation, my daily with a safari grill runs 188 on the highway with ambient at 90 degrees. The other advantage is you can run different temp thermostats, I run 170's in my older trucks. You can actually run a 170 in the 03-04's in the summer without throwing a code if you live in the south, as even though it technically with throw a code if it does not see enough temperature, in the summer that situation never occurs. I actually leave the house in the morning with my AC on here in VA. You can change the thermostat without losing more than a cup of coolant, and if needed for testing you can easily run without a thermostat installed.

The following users liked this post:
arains44 (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 07:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Extinct
Kit uses all factory hoses, so nothing custom. You can use any thermostat you want, 99-02 will throw a code if you use one less than 170, 03-04 with throw a code if you use less than 180. Send me your email and I can send you complete instructions in a PDF. Even if you don't use my kit, I still highly recommend the inline thermostat mod.

email addy sent!

Quick Reply: Inline Thermostat mod