Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing used engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default installing used engine

Guys,
My very cheap Discovery just got a lot more expensive today. My new to me engine is on its way and should be here Tuesday. I found a somewhat local engine with 77k documented miles. I originally ordered a motor with 63k miles but that turned out to be a scam and luckily I caught on before we could not get a refund--major accommodations to Citi Bank for the speedy refund. Be very careful who you order used parts from as the website looked very legit (SWEngines if you all care to know).

Anyway, back to the motor that is on its way. We are going to do a new water pump, hose kit, plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets, check the oil pump, pull fuel injectors off my busted engine, anything else you all can think of? The engine looks very dry and no signs of any head gasket issues. The wife and I will be on vacation while the work is getting done so I need to order parts this week. Hopefully, in three more weeks I can actually drive the Disco then I can start on my major detail and overhaul list of going through everything else.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What caused you to need to replace the entire engine? Your name alludes to Porsche-dom. Do you have one?

Old 08-13-2015, 01:38 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

You may need to switch the ECU with the one from the new engine or re-program your existing ECU. I don't know for certain but someone might.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Drifting

June82000,
I picked up the Disco from a couple who were on a road trip to see their son at a local college. They were on the interstate and the Disco died and would not turn over, we are very limited on Land Rover repair places here so they had it towed to the dealer. Turns out the camshaft froze in the block due to lack of oil and or oil pressure. This made the rest of the motor very unhappy at highway speeds and the engine self destructed. Timing chain sheared the cam gear clean off, push rods are bent, heads have major damage.

I was told about the discovery b/c we have a 2011 Range Rover Sport (wife's DD) and our service manager knew I was looking for a 4x4 for winter. I restored a 1988 911 Carrera about 15 years ago and currently have a 2012 Cayman as a daily driver, soon to be garage queen once the disco is up and running. Carreradan is my user name on Pelican and Rennlist. Porsche's have been my passion for many years but I really like any car that has soul and personality, hence jumping on the Disco.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Carreradan
June82000,
I picked up the Disco from a couple who were on a road trip to see their son at a local college. They were on the interstate and the Disco died and would not turn over, we are very limited on Land Rover repair places here so they had it towed to the dealer. Turns out the camshaft froze in the block due to lack of oil and or oil pressure. This made the rest of the motor very unhappy at highway speeds and the engine self destructed. Timing chain sheared the cam gear clean off, push rods are bent, heads have major damage.

I was told about the discovery b/c we have a 2011 Range Rover Sport (wife's DD) and our service manager knew I was looking for a 4x4 for winter. I restored a 1988 911 Carrera about 15 years ago and currently have a 2012 Cayman as a daily driver, soon to be garage queen once the disco is up and running. Carreradan is my user name on Pelican and Rennlist. Porsche's have been my passion for many years but I really like any car that has soul and personality, hence jumping on the Disco.
Sounds like the engine is toast. I put a used engine in my sons '95 325i last spring and was sort of taking a chance because I never heard it run. It's been a great engine so far. I wish you the same luck with yours.

I haven't been on Pelican in a while but I still have my '74 911 awaiting my attention. I also like cars with soul. I managed to find a 5 speed disco a few weeks ago for $500 and look forward to getting it on the road. Everything is fine except I am having a problem getting the clutch to engage. Still investigating...

Old 08-13-2015, 02:20 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

There are 2 versions of ECU and they are not interchangeable.

Secondary Air injection and non secondary air injection. If the donor motor is the same flavor as the existing ECU, its plug and play.

I would highly recommend doing the head gaskets while the motor is on the stand. It takes half the time to do it out of the car then in the car.

Good luck

Old 08-13-2015, 02:21 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

At 77k you are coming up on headgaskets why not do them now while the engine is out?

Old 08-13-2015, 03:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

x3. Head gaskets are a snap with it on the stand and cheap to do.

Your list looks good to me. You mentioned hose kit but I would always be sure to get a new thermostat (180 degree) and radiator cap. Also, if you are swapping injectors you will need an upper plenum gasket or you will have vacuum leaks (they aren't reusable). The head gasket kit will have new orings for the injectors.

I'm not engine swap expert, but I had a similar circumstance to yours (except I let mine sit in the garage for FIVE YEARS--time out), and bought a used one then swapped it in myself and, as said above, you don't have to swap ECU as long as you are apples to apples on the Secondary Air Injection.

If the new engine has secondary air and the old one didn't, you would need a new ECU and BCU (matched set, unless you can find someone, if any such person exists, who can marry them with some very expensive automotive computer equipment), or you can just convert it to non-secondary air. If the old one was secondary air and the new one isn't, then you will need to use your old heads and some ancillaries on the new engine or, again, get different ECU/BCU's. But it sounds to me like you probably got the right one, so why bother with any more of that.

Good luck!

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-13-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:20 PM
Drifting

I will check into the head gaskets. I was quoted an additional 1200-1500 to do them while the engine is out, remember it is currently stuck at the dealer. I did order the 180 degree thermostat. No worries on the edu/engine as they both are without secondary air. I will add the upper plenum gaskets to the list. Thanks for the advise, hopefully I can post some pics soon when the Disco is back on the road.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Oh I misunderstood; I thought you were would have the beating heart out in front of you, in the open air. I wouldn't have a dealer replace them AT ALL unless they are blown and you don't have time to do so yourself. There is an active thread now of a 70 year old replacing his with the engine in his truck. You can replace them with the engine in the truck if you ever have to; it is just harder (due to lack of space, leaning over, etc) than when the engine is out.

Quick Reply: installing used engine