Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Used Engine - What to Freshen Up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Used Engine - What to Freshen Up?

I may be installing an '04 engine in my '03. The '04 has about 80k miles. I am planning to replace the following on the '04. Should anything be added or subtracted?

- plugs (+4's)
- wires (magnecors)
- front cover gasket
- oil pan gasket
- rear main seal
- front oil seal

Will I need exhaust manifold to downpipe gaskets? Is there a front tranny seal I should replace while the engine is out?

Old 12-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

If they haven't been done already, now is the best time you'll get to do the cylinder head gaskets. That will call for the valley pan and valve cover gaskets.

Dave

Old 12-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Rock Crawling

I was debating that. Are head gaskets really worth the effort (and cost) on an '04 engine? I'm trying to limit how much money I put into the '04 b/c I have no idea if the engine is in good shape or not (other than just the word of the guy who was parting out the vehicle).

Old 12-29-2009, 06:15 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

do you need an engine or just to cheap for a proper Diag. Some go bad but if thy make the 50k mark no oil troubles and you will need to do an entire reseal. Everything leaks after awhile. I do engine reseal all the time at the dealer and we put a motor in once every two years. The are trouble free unless you overheat them a few times.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:38 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

@ 80k if the head gaskets were not done yet, they will need to be done soon. i would get the HG kit from atlantic british for $150 and get yourself some new bolts. also have the heads checked to see if they need to be machined. you might as well put the work in now or else you will have to take it all apart when its installed.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
do you need an engine or just to cheap for a proper Diag. Some go bad but if thy make the 50k mark no oil troubles and you will need to do an entire reseal. Everything leaks after awhile. I do engine reseal all the time at the dealer and we put a motor in once every two years. The are trouble free unless you overheat them a few times.
No, I'm not too cheap for a proper diagnosis. The motor has other problems. What does an engine reseal have to do with my old motor? I'm asking about what should be adressed on the replacement.

With regards to headgaskets, how much more difficult is a replacement in the truck versus pre-installation?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bryan H

With regards to headgaskets, how much more difficult is a replacement in the truck versus pre-installation?
Doing this now...

Replacing the head gaskets with the engine in the truck is two days worth of work for a good do it yourselfer, plus time lost milling the heads at a machine shop. A garage will probably want $1500 and twice that for the dealer.

Replacing the head gaskets while the engine is on a stand is probably a matter of hours, plus any machine shop time.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I would also suggest you inspect the 04 and if the gaskets have not been done, the do them while the engine is on the ground, cheap and quick.
Also replace the t/stat and the front seals on the tranny.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Rock Crawling

Mike, am I missing any critical gaskets in my list above? I searched for the tranny front seal on AB's website and couldn't find it. Any suggestions?

Mike, I'd also like your opinion on the head gasket issue given the discussion above from Dave and Hilltopper. I want to avoid doing the HG if not absolutely needed on an '04 engine with 80k miles. Am I overestimated the difficulty of doing HGs? It just seems as though a lot of people have sealing problems after doing them.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If it hasn't been done, it is still going to fail at some point, sooner then later.
With the engine out of the truck, the job is soo much easier.

Quick Reply: Installing Used Engine - What to Freshen Up?