Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instructions to replace washer fluid bottle

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instructions to replace washer fluid bottle

I am told that i need to remove the front bumper to gain access to the washer bottle for changing.

This is way too much for me.

Is this truly the only way to swap out a bottle? The motor is fine.

Any written instructions to assist me with this repair would be greatly appreciated.

Best & Happy Holidays,

Gordon

2001 Land Rover Discovery II 86000 miles.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Removing the bumper is pretty simple to be honest.

Open the bonnet.
Remove the covers over the indicator lights
Remove 1 screw each side holding indicators in
Pull firmly forward to remove indicator / disconnect wiring loom / plugs

Down each side of wheel arch liner, remove 3 screws that hold liner to front bumper
Under the front on the bumper, remove 2 screws each side (just below fog lights)
Now "flex" the liner out from behind the bumper into the wheel arch area.
In the lower middle of the bumper, remove 3 screws that are below the mesh grille (if they are still there lol)

Reach up behind front fog lights, pull / disoconnect both breather tubes from each fog light (a twist helps to "free" them
Follow wiring loom from each light upwards, disconnect plug where it meets the body.

Inside wheel arch behind the liner there is 2 13mm nuts, 1 each side near the top, undo these a good few turns, no need to remove them, would recommend spraying the threads with a lubricant before un-doing them. You should be able to see them through the gap where you removed the indicators, washer bottle side has less access.

Lay under front and look up where the chassis rails end / meet the bumper, you will see the aluminium "crush cans" on the end of the chassis rails, there is 2 nuts each side, 13mm, remove those

The bumper will now just slide off straight forward, NOTE the washer tube to the headlamp washer will still be connected, a second person to help support the bumper is a good idea whilst you disconnect the tube, it is a quick release connector, simply push the locking tab in and gently pull the pipe off, have a container ready to collect the screen wash "if" you wish to save it.

Thats about it......

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 12-08-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2023, 01:28 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, I just did a crack repair on the washer bottle
- got the soldering iron into the crack and did some melting ( no butchering or makeing things worse)
- tried filling the crack (now a "V") with an orange juce bottle plastic that I think was the same material. This was some what ok, but messy and a bit tricky as the stuff wanted to stick to the soldering iron as first preference
- filled the bottle up and check for leaks ( all good, happy days, no leaks)
- Then, got some fiberglass mat (quite light stuff), cut it to cover the crack repair and, using the soldering iron pushed it into (melting) the plastic. Again a bit tedious but very effective as the fiberglass is now fully integrated with the original bottle material and covering the entire repair and stressed area