Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster - Mind of its own

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 07:44 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster - Mind of its own

I have been searching the forums but have not been able to find an issue I am experiencing.

My instrument cluster will sometimes stay completely off - all of it, speedo, tach, od, etc - for 10 minutes or even longer. Then while driving it will randomly all start working and continue to work no problem. It almost seems like it temperature related (it is winter here). Has anyone come across this? Again, once it comes active everything works fine. I just bought it a couple months ago and at first it was not an issue, but seemingly as it has gotten colder it does it more often. On the other hand there could be no relation to temp.

I appreciate any experience with this.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:05 AM
3rd Gear

My '99 does the same thing. I think its cold related as it only does when its very cold (and even though it lives in the garage) and seems to come alive once the temp comes up and the heater warns the cabin. I did some research a while back and it was suggested it could be battery related, but my battery is only two months old and the the alternator tests fine. I think the cold effects the battery and the cluster indeed may experience a voltage drop until the alternator has time to catch the battery up. Certainly would love some other comments and more sage advice.

Old 01-27-2024, 04:09 PM
8th Gear

So maybe it could be temperature. I am in OH so have hand some much colder temps than what you would experience in NC it looks like. Now, what in the world would temperature be affecting in the instrument cluster? I cannot image what that would be.

Like you, my batter and electrical are fine. I dont think it could be causing that much voltage drop, and even so, why only the instrument cluster while the rest of the dash works fine?

I'm really hoping someone else has experienced and solved this!