Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

instrument cluster question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default instrument cluster question

Hey guys,
just replaced my instrument cluster. The original one had the three amigo LEDs broken clean off the circuitry.

Now my questions:
1. I thought the cluster would show miles of whichever was higher (either the miles stored in ECU or the cluster) My cluster read 142xxx and the new one I put in is now reading 87xxx. Will this change once the cluster is synced with the ECU?

2. My truck is fitted with ACE. The ACE light would illuminate as a test on my original cluster, but with the new cluster, this is the only light that does not illuminate. Does it need to be programmed to recognize the existence of the ACE system? Or should this light be lighting up on its own without the sync?

Thanks for your help

Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

The miles on the cluster and the BCU are stored separately. You can sync either direction, though the land rover tools usually will sync to the highest miles, or so I've heard from rumors. Is the odometer also flashing?

See here: http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/do...ISCOVERYII.pdf

I've never messed with ACE, but I'd think if the ACE ecu is installed, the lights would come on at startup.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Winching

Yes, the odometer is flashing. I haven't had it synced yet. But it sounds like once it is synced, it will revert back to my original mileage of 142xxx.

From the looks of it, I think the ACE light should come on with the new cluster.

Can someone who does NOT have ACE confirm that the ACE check light illuminates as a self check on start up?

Old 12-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No ACE on my truck and no ACE light.... but I don't have a SES light either! Must have burned out during the million hours it was on for the previous owner. I of course, have no codes and thus no need for that pesky warning symbol!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Shade Tree
No ACE on my truck and no ACE light.... but I don't have a SES light either! Must have burned out during the million hours it was on for the previous owner. I of course, have no codes and thus no need for that pesky warning symbol!
Thanks for info. I am wondering if there is something that needs to be set for the cluster to recognize the ACE system is present, and therefore to light up the light.

When you convert from SLS to coils, you change something right to make it so the SLS light does NOT come on? Could it be similar?

Old 12-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bballjames
Yes, the odometer is flashing. I haven't had it synced yet. But it sounds like once it is synced, it will revert back to my original mileage of 142xxx.
Another option, is that the flashing can be turned off. I replaced the BCU and ECM in my 1999, but the odometer had the correct miles, so I used a hawkeye to set the BCU to not care about the miles not matching.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

When you convert from SLS to coils, you change something right to make it so the SLS light does NOT come on? Could it be similar?
This is an option in the SLABS computer, not the cluster. A tool like hawkeye, nanocom, testbook, or t4 might be able to test the light. I know I can turn lights on and off for testing... but I'm not sure about that light, because I've got not ACE computer to talk to. Next time I plug in, I'll check for a bulb check feature for the ACE warning light.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Winching

Thanks jafir. Is there anyplace you can rent a hawkeye or similar?

Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks jafir. Is there anyplace you can rent a hawkeye or similar?
Somebody might have one. I think some of the land rover clubs in different areas sometimes go in together to get them.

I might be willing to sell mine pretty soon. I'm thinking hard about getting a nanocom from black box.

You can get a hawkeye new on ebay for right at $400 with current exchange rates, so I'd probably have to sell for less than that. Kind of sad when I think about how much I paid for it....

Old 12-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

So I don't have ACE, and the ACE light doesn't come on with the key on bulb check. Also when I try the circuit test / bulb check for the ACE light using hawkeye, it doesn't light the light. Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like the signal for the light goes straight from the ACE computer to the cluster.

Quick Reply: instrument cluster question