Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

instrument cluster question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
So I don't have ACE, and the ACE light doesn't come on with the key on bulb check. Also when I try the circuit test / bulb check for the ACE light using hawkeye, it doesn't light the light. Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like the signal for the light goes straight from the ACE computer to the cluster.

hm. thanks for checking that for me. sounds like for some reason that LED must be not working. of course i buy a new cluster because warning lamps not working on mine, and i got one that has on bulb not working... glad it was only $12!

Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked mine, same thing, no ACE, no ACE light illuminated during the bulb check.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Bkreutz
I checked mine, same thing, no ACE, no ACE light illuminated during the bulb check.
Thanks for checking. Really makes me wonder if for some reason the cluster simply isn't getting the information that the ACE system is present. Maybe on nonequipped trucks, that light isn't even there? I looked though on the cluster I put in, and the LED appears to be there, it just doesn't light up. Scratching my head now...

Old 12-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably needs to be activated by Testbook (or other capable system). Makes sense. If the light powered up during the test, there would be no provision for signal, or lack thereof to operate the light, and it could stay on all the time (just guessing here). There's also a provision for the diesel glow plug light even though a diesel was never offered in the US. I think they only make one instrument cluster for every market. Maybe you could contact an independent with Rovacom and see if his system gives him a choice of SLS options.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Winching

Probably needs to be activated by Testbook (or other capable system). Makes sense. If the light powered up during the test, there would be no provision for signal, or lack thereof to operate the light, and it could stay on all the time (just guessing here). There's also a provision for the diesel glow plug light even though a diesel was never offered in the US. I think they only make one instrument cluster for every market. Maybe you could contact an independent with Rovacom and see if his system gives him a choice of SLS options.
Ya, that was my first thought. Jafir kindly plugged in his Hawkeye to test the bulb on his NON-fitted ACE truck and the light didn't illimunate. So I wonder if I can have it programed to recognize the signal from the ACE ECU and illimunate the bulb. I'll see what I can do...

Old 12-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

There's also a provision for the diesel glow plug light even though a diesel was never offered in the US.
I couldn't get that light to turn on either... It appears to be fed by the TD5 computer only.

I'd probably put a multi-meter or testlight on the wire coming from the ACE ECU to see if it tries to turn on the light at first key on.

On connector C0647 it should be pin 36, black wire with orange stripe. I think ACE has just one big connector.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by jafir
I couldn't get that light to turn on either... It appears to be fed by the TD5 computer only.

I'd probably put a multi-meter or testlight on the wire coming from the ACE ECU to see if it tries to turn on the light at first key on.

On connector C0647 it should be pin 36, black wire with orange stripe. I think ACE has just one big connector.
Thanks jafir. I know it's getting power because the cluster I just swapped out illuminated the light fine. I'll do some more digging and see what I can find. Thanks for all your help

Old 12-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Winching

Well after several phone calls with several different dealerships, no one seems to know! I talked to a couple guys in the parts departments, and the cluster is the same part for those equipped with ACE, and those without the system. I just find it really hard to believe that all the lights on the new cluster work except for that one. If I can find another $12 cluster, maybe I'll just try another one and see if it will come on.