Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Panel Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 01:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Instrument Panel Lights

So, I'm missing some lights on my instrument panel. I've searched all through the forums and can't find anybody with this same issue.They don't seem to be ones that somebody would intentionally remove. Anybody have ideas for fixing this? Or do I need a new cluster?

These are the only ones that come on in igintion position 2. It looks like I'm missing the bottom row below oil and battery. And possibly a few more?

Attached Thumbnails Instrument Panel Lights-instument-panel-disco2.jpg  
Old 04-05-2016, 06:48 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got lights out too- the S for sport and ABS. According to the manual they are LEDs so I would guess they are soldered into the board and not easily replaced unless you are good with electronics. In the manual it shows the location of all the lights and their function for reference.

Attached Thumbnails Instrument Panel Lights-img-20160405-00160.jpg  
Old 04-06-2016, 10:18 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Pull the cluster out of the dash and take a look see.

Many reports on this site of mysterious elves putting things like black electrical tape over the lights when a dealer tells them that will be $2500 please...

Black tape, quick sell, happy new owner..... not so fast there.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:35 AM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LR3 Spastic Instrument Cluster

I have a 2007 LR3 SE 8 Cylinder and The entire instrument cluster goes from fine to completely dark with all needles dropping down and everything in between; on with no gas, on with bottom display off, you name it. However all external signals work fine, blinkers, hi- lo driving lights, brake lights, etc. I am considering replacing the instrument cluster, but fear that for $300+/- and a lot of disassembly that might not fix the problem. Question is: If you follow the wire braid from the cluster what is the next component the wire go to and is that component the problem?? Thanks for any feedback. - Dave

Last edited by LRDave3; 04-24-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:55 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragging up the past

Originally Posted by golgafrinch
So, I'm missing some lights on my instrument panel. I've searched all through the forums and can't find anybody with this same issue.They don't seem to be ones that somebody would intentionally remove. Anybody have ideas for fixing this? Or do I need a new cluster?

These are the only ones that come on in igintion position 2. It looks like I'm missing the bottom row below oil and battery. And possibly a few more?
Im going to drag this post up from the dead in the hope you are still around on the forum and you managed to fix it.

I have the exact identical problem. I haven't found anyone else online thats had this problem.

I've chased so many wires and still can't seem to fix it.

Ive just bought the truck, abs light comes on as normal, ive had the instrument cluster apart, the leds are there for TC and HDC and function if I manually put power to them, but won't come on at startup cycle, or if I press HDC, or ever.

Please tell me you have a fix.

Cheers

Old 08-12-2022, 09:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,119 Likes on 601 Posts

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

My first question: Have you had water leaking from your a-pillars, windshield, front sunroof? Because if you have water induced corrosion in the wiring harness to the BCU or SLABS ECU's (over under passenger footwell on the side of the car), instrument cluster, or interior fuse box under the drivers side knee panel, you can get these issues. It is worth looking at the bottom corners of the interior fusebox (you can search for my old posts to see what it looks like, search around 2020)... because if that fusebox gets wet, all bets are off and these D2's act utterly possessed. In my case I had warning lamps that would not go on, and others that stayed on constantly for no reason.

Otherwise, if you have access to a Nanocom, there is a testing function where you can make various things "happen" with the truck, like turning warning lamps on and off, etc.

Do you have any other electrical issues going on with the truck other than these warning lights not coming on? That may help us trace.

Also - specifically - exactly which lights are NOT coming on. ? Just HDC and TC? What about the "BRAKE" lamp? HDC and TC lights are both controlled by the SLABS box so that may be a good starting point.

Old 12-28-2023, 09:17 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 lr4

So at work today had to get mileage off a Lr4 2012 ended up the dash cluster was not getting power, I ended up manually using the r19 relay in the engine bay. This gave mr power to the dash cluster. Hopefully this helps someone.