Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake chips

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 02:45 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake chips

I see a bunch of intake chips designed to add 10-20hp for relatively cheap. Anyone have experience using one on a d1? For 10-40 bucks, it seems like not too risky in terms of money lost, but would rather see if folks who use them notice any change. I use chips on my diesels, but they actually reprogram computer. The ones for rovers just kind of trick the computer by altering the output from the o2 sensors as I understand it. They boast easy removal and would seem to be so as they just kind of plug into one of the sensors so could be removed just as easily. I do know that all vehicles are detuned to a large degree for drivabilty reasons... Any input from folks who have used them on disco would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: intake chips

I think what your talking about is the little resistor you can buy that confuses the AIT sensor. not O2 sensor. Anyway, screwing with the computer or electronics in a gas burner is not really going to do anything (may cause check engine light to come on at the most). If you want a little more power out of the D1 get a cold air intake, or build one like i did and get rid of the rear resinator, you could change the muffler too and these easy cheap mods will be well worth your money. (I removed the rear resinator and built a cold air intake type setup and i noticed better response), but its is a 4x4, not a racecar.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:08 AM
Drifting

Yep, they hook to cold air intake sensor and trick the engine. Anyone actually used one of these "chips"(sound like resisters to me too)? The claims are around 15 - 20 hp gain and that is why I was wondering if anyone has tried one so that I can see if it is bull or not. If I only knew what type of resister it is, I could get one at radio shack for under a doller. I realize it is a 4X4, but nothing wrong with more power even so. My powerstroke is a 4x4 that weighs almost 8k and I still go for power gains on it. By cold air intake, do you mean an open air intake to replace the stock air filter box? That could improve breathing, but without a turbo and the related spool up, it would be minimal impact . Even on turbo engines, the open air intakes do not really add hp( despite what adds may claim), but just makes it a hair easier for the turbo to spool up. Opening up exhaust is a possibility.

Old 11-03-2005, 03:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: wildhorses

Yep, they hook to cold air intake sensor and trick the engine. Anyone actually used one of these "chips"(sound like resisters to me too)? The claims are around 15 - 20 hp gain and that is why I was wondering if anyone has tried one so that I can see if it is bull or not. If I only knew what type of resister it is, I could get one at radio shack for under a doller. I realize it is a 4X4, but nothing wrong with more power even so. My powerstroke is a 4x4 that weighs almost 8k and I still go for power gains on it. By cold air intake, do you mean an open air intake to replace the stock air filter box? That could improve breathing, but without a turbo and the related spool up, it would be minimal impact . Even on turbo engines, the open air intakes do not really add hp( despite what adds may claim), but just makes it a hair easier for the turbo to spool up. Opening up exhaust is a possibility.
I bet you a dollar you see better gains from getting more air into the intake then you will spending 40 bucks on a 37 cent resistor that is prolly gonna lead to problems, (computer thinks air is a differnt temp, adjusts timing, you get a lean burning engine = a bit more power but very bad on the engine, Right?) why trick it when you can just add a lil bit more air and let the computer adjust for it and be good to go? And yes the air intake costs me about 30 bucks total including the cone filter, and I did see a bit of improvement.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Drifting

I made a open air intake for my other ride, so no problem doing that. I was thinking same thing regarding resister and effects on engine, but wanted input from someone who used one first hand. I do appreciate the input though and agree with most of what you said. Will prob leave her stock pending feedback if anyone has tried one.

Old 11-04-2005, 12:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle

On another forum someone w/ a mustang tried one, said he didn't notice any gain, also he tried the tornado and said it seemed to lag a bit taking off. About 25 people chiped in to buy the 2 parts so he could test them. From what I know and the info I got from there I won't be thinking about either one. Good luck, If you do try it out, let us know how it worked out for you.