Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting JE Robinson blog on DII frame rust

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 03:50 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Cool Interesting JE Robinson blog on DII frame rust

I think there has been a debate going around the forum about the Disco 2 chassis rot. Some argue that early model DII frames are less likely to rust, but this blog suggests that all DII's were fitted with the same light weight non-galvanized frame (when compared to older Rovers) complete with faulty welds which contribute to serious frame deterioration. The blog also highlights the second biggest problem our trucks have behind the engine issues..... weak frames. The price to replace the engine and frame on these trucks is certainly more than most owners are willing to pay to keep these trucks on the road. Its sad really because the Discovery 2 is my all time favorite model.

JE Robison Service — the blog: Frame Rust in Land Rover Discovery II models - an Achilles' heel?

Old 04-01-2014, 07:06 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

for $1500 plus another 8 hour labor to clean it he will glad waxol your truck.

he does have a very good website with a lot great information

Old 04-01-2014, 07:42 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

I've been mentioning this issue with the frames for awhile now. Last summer was the first time I actually started selling rolling DII frames. On DI's the body rusts off the frame. On DII's the frame rusts out from under the body. I'm surprised Land Rover hasn't been hit with a class action suit. For a frame to have a lifespan exceeding tens years is not an unrealistic expectation.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I've never seen the argument that 03-04 chassis are worse than 99-02, but I know D2s are way worse than D1s.

Go pick up a D1 chassis, and then pick up a D2 chassis. The difference is very clear when you lift it.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:41 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

I've seen some really bad early DII frames as well. The only framed I've replaced have been from late ' 02-'04.

I remember a guy drive up to my shop from Staten Island, NYC. He was buying a rear axle assembly from me and we were going to install it for him. He said the casing was so rusted that it wouldn't hold oil. I drive him to the train station and when I got back to the shop put the truck on a lift.

Within a second, I was pulling the truck off the lift . The frame had holes in it that were several inches long. Some of the worst were on the back rails but I was horrified to see holes just back from the motor mounts. The truck looked like it was one pothole away from breaking into pieces.

I called the customer and told him that in good conscience I wouldn't be able to do the work for him. He told me he had recently bought the truck from a used car dealer in NY. I told him to contact the dealer and the DMV. He picked up the truck and drove it (against my advice ) back to NYC!

So, while I've seen bad frames in all of the DII model years, the ones that were most consistent were those I saw in the later models .

Old 04-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I hear that. We've sold a few of the galvy d2 frames already, both 99-02 and 03-04(different part numbers).

A buddy of mine snapped his 2000 frame last year....

Old 04-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need to pay $1500 for someone to Waxoyl the chassis, it's an easy DIY. I've done a couple of vehicles in the UK, where rust is a real issue. It works very well.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Well, I guess rustproofing has moved up my timeline. Anybody had luck with Eastwood Rust Converter, and encapsulator?

Old 04-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

HA! JE Robinson Service - It's 10 mins from my work! I'll have to go check them out.

Dave

Old 04-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always thought it was the engine that would give out first on my DII, turns out, it's probably going to be the frame rust that does my 2001 in.

It's funny, seems like it just spread like wild fire two years ago.

Quick Reply: Interesting JE Robinson blog on DII frame rust