Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittant lifter noise/Transfer Case Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intermittant lifter noise/Transfer Case Question

Hi everyone i have 2 questions, 1. I have a 1998 D1 with a 2002 DII engine block, don't know if that matters to this question, but i put all new lifters and I am still getting a lifter noise. Its not constant either. Like, when its cold you can hear them, but when it warms up they are quiet. Then the noise comes back on and off when it is in idle or at a stop.

I am thinking if the lifters were defective, i would always hear the noise. Is it possible that the noise is coming from the rocker arm shafts? Everything in the motor is new except the pistons, which were immaculate so i didn't need to change them.

2. I have a p1777 code so i had the transfer case checked, because my 4x4 shifter is locked anyway(probably bad linkage?). Does anyone think this can be from a solenoid on the transfer case? or the case itself? I have an extra transfer case and a control box. I was thinking of maybe just swapping a solenoid or a switch, before checking the wiring to the control box..

I scanned the truck with a Modis w/Vantage pro. It doesn't have any Land Rover settings, so i have to use the global OBDII option. Thank you in advance for anyone who can give me a general idea.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:21 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

1) Noise at start up when it is cold for maybe a minute sounds normal. But coming back again at idle is not normal. What kind and weight of oil do you use? Try using Rotella 5w40. When you replaced the tappets how did the push rods ends look like? Have you measured the oil pressure at idle?

Last edited by lipadj46; 11-08-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by lipadj46
1) Noise when it is cold for maybe a minute sounds normal. But coming back again at idle is not normal. What kind and weight of oil do you use? Try using Rotella 5w40. When you replaced the tappets how did the push rods ends look like? Have you measured the oil pressure at idle?

I currently have Mobile 1 5w20 in it. The push rods looked good they came off of a low mileage motor (4 of them were new that we had in stock), my dad was telling me the rocker arm shafts go bad on the 4.0s and i didn't get a chance to look at them before they were put in. I didn't check the oil pressure though, ill do that tomorrow, that is a good place to start.

The weird thing is, is that when we first fired up the motor it took like 10 minutes for the lifters to charge, then everything was fine. This just started happening 2 nights ago.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

First off 5w-20 is WAY to thin for these engines, you will have that thing sludged up inside of 6 months.
There is to much heat inside the heads and valley pan and that oil will break down in no time.

2nd, the rocker arms on a DII have a tin "cap" inside the cup and that cap comes loose, it wont fall out but it comes loose and then rattles around in there and makes one hell of a racket.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:34 PM
TReK

I think 5w-20 is a bad idea in these engines and the the mobil 1 5w-20 though decent is not really an oil suitable for a flat tappet engine like these. I bet your oil pressure is a bit low, not low enough to really damage anything but low enough to cause noise. Dump the 5w-20 and put in 5w-40 rotella (Walmart has it). It is a good oil for the NJ winter also. Other good oils for the winter: Mobil 1 5w40 (the turbo diesel oil), Mobil 1 0w40, Castrol Syntec 0w30 (the german stuff), Mobil 1 5w30 EP or HM.

Last edited by lipadj46; 11-08-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Three Wheeling

I think 5w-20 is a bad idea in these engines and the the mobil 1 5w-20 though decent is not really an oil suitable for a flat tappet engine like these. I bet your oil pressure is a bit low, not low enough to really damage anything but low enough to cause noise. Dump the 5w-20 and put in 5w-40 rotella (Walmart has it). It is a good oil for the NJ winter also.

I will try that tomorrow, thank you very much for the advice.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:43 PM
TReK

Also make sure you are using a good oil filter like Wix, Napa gold, PureOne, Mobil 1, K&N etc. They have silicon anti drain back valves.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Three Wheeling

Also make sure you are using a good oil filter like Wix, Napa gold, PureOne, Mobil 1, K&N etc. They have silicon anti drain back valves.

I have a Wix one in there now. I have a Mobile 1 filter, M1-301, but wasn't sure if its the same as the 301 for the rovers. So I bought a Wix one instead.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:04 PM
TReK

Yes M1-301 is the one for rovers, wix is just as good IMO.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

just a thought for you, I too had "tick troubles" and recently replaced the rocker shafts, push rods and rocker arms.they didn't " look" all that bad, but remember we're only talking thousands of an inch between noisy and quiet. sounds like a different engine now.
and after taking apart the original shafts there was a lot of crud built up inside them, even though I had done an engine flush or two.

Quick Reply: Intermittant lifter noise/Transfer Case Question